Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurementsin 3D models

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
246 Views, 3 Replies

Measurementsin 3D models

Hi, I'm new in this forum so I hope someone can help me.

I'm using a software of processing images, pix4d, so I can generate a 3D texture mesh, the formats that I get from this software are DXF,FBX,SHP,OBJ, PLY. In the end, I want import one of this formats to autocad desktop and take measures of width, height, volume, distance, etc in a 3D model that I get, so, is there a way for do that?

I hope not to be confuse, and I will appreciate the help.

Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dennis
in reply to: Anonymous

The one is recognized by AutoCAD would be the DXF.  The SHP is also a file type AutoCAD uses for Shape Files, but I suspect that is not going to be the same format.  You can open a DXF easy enough by just changing the Files of Type of the Open dialog.  Once in AutoCAD, you should have snap-able geometry.  To get the area you will most likely need to draw a volume object like a Cube in 3D to then determine the area.

Message 3 of 4
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

...DXF,FBX,SHP,OBJ, PLY. .... and take measures of width, height, volume, distance, etc in a 3D model ....

Autodesk Inventor and Fusion 360 can use the OBJ and I think the PLY (haven't checked that one).

Make that Autodesk Meshmixer for the PLY.

I suspect the real trick will be getting a solid body for Volume measurement.

If you can zip and attach your exports here - I can give it a go.

Given that most of these formats are meshes rather than solids, if the dxf isn't a solid you might have to go beyond AutoCAD to convert and then back to AutoCAD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

with AutoCAD you can

• use command _OPEN or command _INSERT to load the DXF (open it or insert it into the current drawing)
  • use command _IMPORT to insert the FBX file as well

If you want to do tests with the OBJ file you can use the >>>Autodesk FBX Converter<<< which can convert that file and some other formats used in the 3D-visualization branche.

>> take measures of width, height, volume, distance,

Be careful, images do not have sizes, converted meshes from images has to be first scaled  to a reference distance before you can do such measurements.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report