Did you mean: 

Linking Excel from OneDrive - Error

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jldriggers75
4508 Views, 12 Replies

Linking Excel from OneDrive - Error

My standard BOM is an excel file and when I insert the file to my drawing everything works fine but after I close the drawing and reopen it at a later time I always get an error message saying "Failed to Connect. Link may be Broken". Both files are in the same folder in Microsoft OneDrive. Is this an AutoCad settings issue or an issue with OneDrive?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
john.vellek
in reply to: jldriggers75

Hi @jldriggers75,

While using OneDrive for a synchronized backup copy of your files is a fine idea, the latency inherent with such a relationship can cause this type of failure. I would suggest that you keep the copies local and synch them for the backup.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @jldriggers75,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem or if you need additional assistance or information. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 4 of 13
jldriggers75
in reply to: john.vellek

Sorry for the delay, I've been building a new workstation. I understand the issue of the link breaking when cad and excel files are uploaded to a cloud location but with my job I need to have a solution for storing files with remote access. I've tried the loading files on a usb drive when I travel with disastrous results. I'm going to try to play around with the OneDrive settings to see if I can resolve the issue or look at setting up a different remote access system.

Message 5 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @jldriggers75,

I am not sure if this will be any better but have you tried putting them on A360?

I have always defaulted to a simple Windows VPN to make sure things remain intact but I am pretty old school.

Can you attach some sample files and I can try to explore some other options such as BIM360 Docs.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 6 of 13
jldriggers75

I have not tried A360 yet. I'll do that later this evening and I'll also post sample files.

Message 7 of 13
jldriggers75

I'm exploring the option of creating a table based on my excel file but this will be a new learning process. I have some columns in my excel file that aren't visible that just add the material weight but I'll work my way through it. I'll post my excel file and any advice would be appreciated. Data is entered in Columns A thru J, M, & O. Formulas in Columns K, N, & P.

Message 8 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @jldriggers75,

My work computer is down this am but I will try to look at this as quickly as possible for you.  Without looking at your setup, I suggest that you check to make sure that you are using 64-bit Excel with your 64-bit AutoCAD. Otherwise, you might end up fighting this process.

I also recommend, if at all possible to do all the formatting in Excel. You can then retain this formatting when you est up the DATALINK.  Then when you insert your table based upon the datalink things should go smoothly.  

I would go through this process locally first to make sure everything goes smoothly.

John Vellek

Message 9 of 13
john.vellek

HI @jldriggers75,

I created two data links from your Excel file. The first one uses the range a1:k14

Capture.PNG

The other I set to a range sof M3:P14

Then I create a table based upon each datalink

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

I have attached my resulting file for your use.

John Vellek

Message 10 of 13
jldriggers75

Thank you very much. This worked perfectly. I also discovered a couple things. The version of Office loaded on my workstation was 32 bit, which is apparently the default used by Microsoft. I uninstalled the 32 bit and loaded the 64 bit version. I also discovered that if you open the excel file first ans the open the cad file the "Failed to Link" error message doesn't appear and the link works just fine.

Message 11 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @jldriggers75,

You are correct,the Excel version (32 or 64 bit) should match the type of AutoCAD you have installed.

Thanks for the addition and I am glad this is working for you.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 13

gracias por el tip ultimo de abrir el excel primero eso arreglo la vinculacion me salvastes los trabajos.
En mi caso lo tabajo desde ondrive y sale ese error pero despues de ese tip ya funciona bien. saludos.
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Hello, 

We use AutoCAD Lite 2022 to prepare floor plans that require data from an excel spreadsheet. We copy and paste, using "paste Special / paste link / Microsoft excel worksheet". to insert several portions of the spreadsheet, individually, into various layouts of the drawing. I use Office 2019. This usually works fine. However, we have been having the same issue with the links being broken every time we open the drawing. For one of the drawings I am currently working on, I've tried opening the spreadsheet first, but that didn't help. Both My AutoCAD and MS Office are 64 bit versions. I've tried using the "Insert Data Link" command, but there was an issue with that as well. After going through the process of selecting the file and the various options in the dialogue box, when clicking 'OK' nothing happens. The dialogue closes and there is nothing to insert. I'll try saving copies of the files locally, but this may be an issue afterwards as it remains necessary for us to share and exchange files remotely. We use Dropbox for this. we'd greatly appreciate some help with this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta