Did you mean: 

Linetypescale doesn´t change with block scale

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Ajtb
871 Views, 12 Replies

Linetypescale doesn´t change with block scale

Hi, every now and then i find myself with rescaled blocks that don´t show the correct Linetypescale. Let´s take for instance the example attached. My axis lines (green) are 0.02 with a line and dot (- . - ) display, if i scale the block 10 times it should be the same axis but with a 0.2 green line and dot.

This is not a deal breaker, since i can just explode the whole block, assign the new LTS to the line and convert it again to a block, but i was wondering if there is an easier way to solve it or bypass it.

Thanks in adavance.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Simon_Weel
in reply to: Ajtb

Not sure what you mean - do you want the line type to scale along with the scale of the block?

In the sample drawing, all line types show the same (as it should), regardless the scale of the block.

Message 3 of 13
Michiel.Valcke

Try changing your PSLTSCALE variable

MichielValcke_0-1693986184499.png

Message 4 of 13
Ajtb
in reply to: Simon_Weel

I want all my linetypes to scale with the block as i said in the example.

I the attached file i made 1 block, the original is set to 0,0,0, with its linetypescale at 0.02. Then i copied 2 more with a x2 scale and then a x10, none of them scaled the linetypescale (when you explode the block shows 0.02 and it´s clear to the eye that its not scalated).
Message 5 of 13
Ajtb
in reply to: Michiel.Valcke

I always disable my PSLTSCALE since i have all my linetypescales defined in the model space. Also paperspace linescales might disturb other users that could access the drawing, making some axis or hidden lines seem like they were continous.
Message 6 of 13
pendean

@Ajtb wrote:

...Let´s take for instance the example attached. My axis lines (green) are 0.02 with a line and dot (- . - ) display, if i scale the block 10 times it should be the same axis but with a 0.2 green line and dot....

All of your linetypes in your three scaled blocks are the same, 100% identical

pendean_2-1694015669880.png

Are you perhaps looking at the start/end line that is always odd looking in AutoCAD?

pendean_3-1694015772514.png

Custom linetype too?

pendean_4-1694015812540.png

It's more consistent when I use just a stock linetype instead

pendean_5-1694015942403.png

Seems part of your issue is your custom linetype definition, not much more.

Message 7 of 13
Kent1Cooper

If -- to describe it another way -- you want [in this case] the grid lines in the Block to have the same number of dashes and dots across the width of the Block, at any scale, and for the dashes and gaps to increase in size with increase in scale, you will need to define the Block with independent Lines representing the dashes, and Points, rather than using a dash-dot linetype.

Kent1Cooper_1-1694019867778.png

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 13
Ajtb
in reply to: pendean

Thats the problem, they shouldn´t be the same. Lets take this other example for instance:

This is the current block example in 1:1, linetype scale is 0.02.This is the current block example in 1:1, linetype scale is 0.02.

And this is the exact same block scaled to 0.1:

Whereas the linetype scale here is 0.02 (the same) where it should be 0.0002.Whereas the linetype scale here is 0.02 (the same) where it should be 0.0002.

But as you can see, it´s still the same 0.02. The problem here is that Linetype scale variable doesn´t change with block scale. I don´t know if it´s a system variable or parameter i could modify.

Message 9 of 13
Michiel.Valcke

If you want that effect, why not just use short and long lines in your block definition to mimic the dashdot linetype. If your entire block scales, so will your lines, and you'll always have the same visual representation for your block. So you also never have to worry about linetype scales in the drawing impacting how your block will look like.

Message 10 of 13
pendean

@Ajtb What you are asking for is not an option with blocks that contain linetypes in AutoCAD. Sorry, the program falls short there. What you want is the ability for a block to have a unique linetype scale, which is not an option (use PROPERTIES to see for yourself, it's grayed out).

Try the other tips about using set line objects instead.

Or create different named blocks with linetypes in it set to different linetypescales.

Message 11 of 13
Ajtb
in reply to: pendean

Oh well, that was what i was doing since Acad2007. I guess i´ll stick to the same formula.

About setting everything to a dashed pattern to have the same "effect" i find kind of weird when axis, hidden lines or other remarcable lines are all the same.

Do you know any way to address this as a future feature?

Message 12 of 13
pendean

@Ajtb wrote:

...Do you know any way to address this as a future feature?

Autodesk looks for these types of requests over here, post often and regularly (don't skip any fields otherwise it might risk getting ignored, they like to hear from real people) 

https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback 

Message 13 of 13
Kent1Cooper

@Ajtb wrote:

.... Do you know any way to address this as a future feature?

The Product Feedback Page.  Or the AUGI Wish List.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report