Linetype location

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
15119 Views, 11 Replies

Linetype location

Hy guys,

I have a question about linetypes location. If i get a file that contain some linetypes and i would like to edit thats linetypes, where can i find the .lin file that contain the linetype definition?

For example, the file contain the gas linetype like that "- - GAS - -", but i would like to change to "- - G - -". My task is to find the location of the in use linetypes .lin file's, so i don't want to load another linetype, i would like to edit the in use linetype, wich is not in acad.lin i just get it with the .dwg file from my coworker.

Have anyone idea about that problem?

Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cadffm
in reply to: Anonymous

Linetypedefinition are stored inside your DWG!
Only if you need a Ltype which is not in your DWG, you import them from a *.lin file.

If you want the *.lin, ask creater of dwg!
Standard linetypes are in acad.lin (acadiso.lin for metric drawings).

There are Tools like linout.lsp for example to create a lin from a dwg ltype-definition.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
vladimir_michl

If you want to change the source .LIN file, type:

(findfile "ACADISO.LIN")

to locate the definition file (metric in this case) and edit it with Notepad.

The linetypes used in a particular DWG drawing are stored in its Table section inside the DWG. You can list them and export back to .LIN with LinOut (and LinCatalog) or create new ones on the fly:

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=5271

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=3958 

http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/create-autocad-complex-linetypes-on-the-fly-tip7147

The edited .LIN source file can be loaded with the _LINETYPE command.

Vladimir Michl, www.cadstudio.cz

Message 4 of 12
gotphish001

Here is that line type out lisp file that was mentioned. When you run it, it will grab all the line types from a dwg and put them in a note file. I believe it puts the file in "my documents" folder but I haven't used it in a while. It grabs all the linetypes so it will have all the default ones too. 

It wouldn't let me upload a .vlx file extension so I added the .ach extension to the lisp file just to upload it. To use it you will need to right click the file and go to properties and delete the .ach that I added. It will give you a warning because you are changing the extension and it might break it, but it will work as me adding the .ach was what broke it. You will be fixing it.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 5 of 12
BrianBenton

Here is another forum post that discusses how to export linetypes so that they can be edited. It has links to Lisp routines that will extract the linetype for you.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/export-linetpyes-from-a-dwg-to-a-lin-file-aotucad-2015-...

Brian C. Benton

bbenton@cad-a-blog.com
http://CAD-a-Blog.com
twitter.com/bcbenton
www.facebook.com/CADaBlog

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

Just a tiny detail you havent mentioned! Linetypes ARE NOT entirely stored inside dwg in case you need .shx file!

This is crucial information and omitted by you.

I relied on your post and now i look like fool because i argued that all linetypes must be correct when sent to someone else except that is not the case.

Message 7 of 12
cadffm

Sorry Ivan, BUT..

>>"Just a tiny detail you havent mentioned!"

I answered complete, 100% right&true to the TO question.

>>"Linetypes ARE NOT entirely stored inside dwg in case you need .shx file!

The shx content is not part of the linetype-defintion..

>>"This is crucial information and omitted by you."

This wasn't the question here!

>>"I relied on your post and now i look like fool because i argued that all linetypes must be correct when sent to someone else except that is not the case."

Nobody said this here, It was your mistake to misinterpret things not discussed here. Sorry

Note, if this is also new for you: : Linetypes can refer to shapes / shx AND TO TEXTSTYLES (which refer to all kind of fonts)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

If there is a possibility to have .shx reference inside .lin definition which is dependent on another file then the statement saying linetypes (in true meaning, linetype is something you can see and apparently see a difference when .shx is missing) are fully part of .dwg file is simply not correct nor complete (half true max). 

It would be correct if definition of a linetype was self-sufficient without ability to link to any external file.

If a subset from whole definition set is not part of .dwg you cannot say that .dwg is carrier of the whole set. 

Another example may be like saying all xreferences are part of .dwg, but those are only empty shells referring to other files. 

When user imports .lin file and linetype definitions into .dwg there is no warning that these definitions contain references thus beware. One would assume (according to research, specifically this thread) it is safe to send the file and it will be displayed correctly (linetypewise) on the recipient side wihch did not happen. This is what made me mad (you can guess by the tone).

My only point is that linetypes are definitely not part of .dwg in entirety so Beware!

Message 9 of 12
cadffm

I guess you are really good and lovely for usual
>>This is what made me mad (you can guess by the tone).

That's your problem. You searched for an information that we haven't talked about here,
If you had asked whether a line of a certain (!) DWG would look the same at every workstation without
passing it on to other files,
then you would have got a completely different answer like the TO.

Why? Because that would be a completely different question.

I write it again, please read it slower and think twice my statements:

>>My only point is that linetypes are definitely not part of .dwg in entirety so Beware!
This is right, but nobody said "Lineytype are entired part of the .dwg" in this thread.
I said LinetypeDEFINITION are (entired) part of a .dwg, that's another thing.
Inside a file are Linetypedefinitions (it is an "object" in programmers eyes, like layer and all other things too).
For a usual user is all the the same, but see the things in detail and abstract how they are, then it is not the same.
And take a look to the Question of this thread, the TO knows what we talked about and he asked for the linetypedefintion ONLY,
because this was all he want&need to know for his target.

I'm sorry for you, but you pulled the wrong information out of the internet,
you just thought it fits your question (which you didn't ask)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
jcalderonAU33T

How I erase a linetype that is duplicate in my dwg drawing.?

Message 11 of 12
cadffm
in reply to: jcalderonAU33T

Hi,

do you mean you have two linetype,

ltype1 and ltype2, both looking eval, but different names?

- Linetypes which are not in use, run PURGE

- Linetypes in use, but not to nested objects, run QSELECT / FILTER / SSX to select all objects with ltypeX and change ltype in properties palette [CTRL]+[1]

- Linetypes in use, also to nested objects and non-graphical objects like layers and more

Command STANDARDS or another 3rd party tool.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
TomBeauford

If you're that upset learning how shp files are used in linetype definitions you'll be disappointed to find that linetypes with text reference Text Style names usually "Standard" which on my templates and drawings uses the AutoCAD TrueType font "Swiss Lt BT" but as there are thousands of different fonts out there that any Text Style could reference so when you use that same linetype in a different drawing odds are it will look different.

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report