Line Weights and Printing Issues

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
6539 Views, 7 Replies

Line Weights and Printing Issues

Hello, 

I'm a student, new to AutoCAD 2017 (windows 10) and have been teaching myself how to use it through different videos, however, in the past couple of days I've having issues when it comes to printing. 

I originally was managing to print fine with the lines not looking too bold or too thin. I was leaving the Plot Style Table as none, leaving Plot with Plot Styles and Plot Paperspace Last ticked and unticking Plot Object Lineweights. 

I have recently bought a new printer as I need to scan in A3, however, when I print with the exact same settings on this printer, the lines are very thin and weak, so you can hardly see them, even though, in the plotting preview and model space it looks fine.

Because the settings seem to work fine on one printer and not on the other, I automatically assumed it was an issue with the printer, however, it prints everything else fine, just has issues with anything from AutoCAD. (I have spoken to Epson, however, they say the problem is definitely with AutoCAD.)

I have tried to look in other forums already opened for any idea on what to do, however, nothing has seemed to help. I have tried ticking and unticking different Plot Options and trying different Plot Style Tables, but when I start reading about ctb and setting your own light weights I confuse myself as I don't know much about them.

I was just hoping if anyone could help and knows what I can do. When creating my drawings, I didn't set any specific line weights like a couple of forums mention, but I wouldn't know where to start. Also, when I do tick Plot Object Lineweights, only some lines (such as doors and certain lines) get really thick, while others stay thin. Is this due to me not choosing particular line weights?

I do hope this makes sense and someone can help, I would be very grateful. If you need any more information or any screenshots if I haven't explained anything very well, please let me know. Thanks 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
gotphish001
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are just starting out and trying to learn, keep it simple at first. Use the monchrome plot table. Set lineweights in your layers in the drawing and leave the plot tables alone. If something prints too thin or thick you can easily lower or raise the lineweight in that layer. That will teach you how to separate things into layers. Door layer, wall layers, window, etc...  It will take practice to know how line weights look printed and when to use different lineweights.  A good rule of thumb to judge how lineweights look is to squint at a printed drawing. If it kind of looks 3d-ish and in proportion then lineweights are ok. If you squint and everything looks faded in the background except your doors are bold and stand out like crazy then the doors are probably too thick of a lineweight. There is no standard with it as in use lineweight .09mm for doors, but you want the drawing to look good and not like a mess of random lines. That is where the squint test comes in. Squinting will make questionable lineweight choices look much worse and exaggerated.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 3 of 8
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Configuring lightweights in printing can be a little over-whelming.  I will assume that you are using a template to start your files based upon CTB plot styles.

I suggest that you established layers, each with it's own color that will represent a different lineweight.  I suggest starting with something like light, medium, heavy and bold.  Then place geometry on the appropriate layer  for the lineweight.  Then, attach your sample file to a post and let me know which color needs to be which lineweight. I will help you create a CTB for your use and help you to understand the steps as I go through the process.

I will copy the monochrome.ctg into a new CTB and then adjust the linewights for your selected colors.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you to @gotphish001 and @john.vellek who replied. 

Thank you for the suggestion of the monochrome plot tables as it makes it a lot easier, but I usually prefer my diagrams in colour when printed.

After reading both comments I experimented with the different line weights and printed them off and really understood which I needed for my diagrams. 

After looking at my drawings and their line weights, I realised that although I was highlighting my diagrams and setting them as certain weights, the blocks I had created or had inserted from the AutoCAD library weren't changing. From this, I realised I needed to actually edit each block to change their line weights too. 

I have successfully managed to change everything to the correct line weights now in my drawings and am printing fine. Thank you for the help 🙂

Message 5 of 8
gotphish001

Just a tip when picking colors if you use index colors off of that color table all the colors will print black and white when monochrome is used. If you use the true color table and use colors off of there, the colors will still print as color even in black and white monochrome. Unless you force them to print grey tone by checking a box usually in the printer driver that says something like "print greyscale only". This is handy because you can use the monochrome plot settings to print black and white but if you want a few things to be color to stand out then use true colors and those will print in color still. That or just use monochrome if you like the lineweights and use all true colors in your layers to get everything to print color.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: gotphish001

Thank you so much for that tip, that makes it so much easier! I probably would never have figured that out anytime soon.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi,

I have issue with printing in AutoCAD.

I have done a big topo survey, which finally will cover 65 000m2.

As far I have bit of it. I use some additional software to transfer data from instrument to AutoCad.

This software create layers etc. 

I just edited visually but didn't change any settings in AutoCAD.

When it comes to print I use A1 paper size (want to save it as pdf). But all what come out is so small so you cant read it.

If you zoom pdf lines are very bold... so bold you can't see line style.

Is any way to scale text and lines to match printing layout?

I am very new with AutoCad. I have some previous experience with CAD and GIS software but didn't need to print so never struggle so much.

Is anyone here who can easily, step by step help me to set my printing preferences so it works? 

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

Message 8 of 8
john.vellek

Hi @Magda.czech,

I created a new pagesetup as I didn't have your PDF driver. Once I applied my A1 setup to the layout, I used Mview to unlock the viewport.  I then set a scale of 2:1 although the plan doesn't totally fit so 1:1 might be better.  At any rate I see that the text is very small. I went into model space and used qselect to select all the text with the DLFT style applied. Then in the properties palette I am able to change the height of all 902 pieces of text at once.

I hope this helps you get started.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report