Did you mean: 

Line Micro-Errors

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
oliverVCGW3
611 Views, 13 Replies

Line Micro-Errors

I'm having an issue on LT 2023 where occassionally and seemingly at random, when I am drawing the lines will develop micro-errors, in such that they will be the wrong dimension by thousandths of a millimeter. As such, lines that look to meet up, actually don't, and therefore won't work with Trim commands etc.

Considering I input the majority of the drawing through typed numerical input (typing in the dimension to input the line) I can't understand where these errors are occuring and fixing them is so time consuming I sometimes choose to restart the drawing rather than battle the errors.

Any ideas on why this is happening/how I can prevent it/how I can fix a drawing quickly?

Apologies if this has been covered before, I couldn't think of how to phrase the search when looking for a solution.

Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
cadffm
in reply to: oliverVCGW3

Hi,

1. Draw near to WCS 0,0,0 

Draw not in extrem units, your lines should be long 1000 or .001 instead 100000000.0 or 0.000000001.

2. >>"typed numerical input"

That's good, but make sure the running osnaps are disabled for keyboard input!

(Osnapcoords value 1 or 2, not 0)

If you like: Share a sample DWG

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
RobDraw

@oliverVCGW3 wrote:

Any ideas on why this is happening/how I can prevent it/how I can fix a drawing quickly?

Why: I'm sorry but this is probably due to your input methodology as this doesn't just happen.

Fix: This kind of error checking usually takes analysis to determine the appropriate action.

Prevent: Find a workflow that gives you the accurate results that you are looking for.

Sorry to be vague but without more information, some of which might be difficult to convey in text, it's hard to be more direct. A sample drawing at a minimum is needed for analysis. A detailed description of your workflow might help us determine where your errors are happening.

For example:

@oliverVCGW3 wrote:

As such, lines that look to meet up, actually don't, and therefore won't work with Trim commands etc.

That statement is incorrect. Trim/Extend has a setting to allow this. I would suggest a beginner course or some tutorials to get you on the right track with your workflow.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 14
oliverVCGW3
in reply to: RobDraw

I'm more than happy to accept that this could be user error but I wanted to ask in case this is a known issue.

I wish I could share a drawing for demonstrative purposes but the drawings contain sensitive information that can't be freely distributed. I appreciate this makes analysis difficult/potentially impossible, but again I wanted to pose the question in case someone else had come across something similar.

I can try and evaluate my workflow, though I will be the first to admit my AutoCAD knowledge is very much surface level.

When creating a drawing I load up a premade template that has company specific Logos on the Layout and a centre point drawn to show where the centre of said layout is on the model space.

I will then often create an outline of the building/room i am drawing by inputting the numerical values of the dimensions as measured on site.

Once the outline of a building/room is complete, on new layers I will draw on any alterations I am proposing/designing. Where possible I stick to inputting data numerically. If not, I use object snap to link up lines/objects.

I don't know if that description is of any use.

Thank you for your input!

Message 5 of 14
oliverVCGW3
in reply to: cadffm

Is there an easy way to identify where WCS 0,0,0 is? Apologies for my ignorance with this.

What are Running OSnaps? This isn't something I have actively modified before, would they be disabled by default?

Thank you for your help!

Message 6 of 14
cadffm

Oh. That are basic things, so I try it without explainations first

Draw a line to:

there it is.

But if you are not familiar with UCS, go this way

Command: UCS world

and now you can use Command ID

to check coordinates, 

click to the middle of your drawing(in model space) 

or check your object positions in properties palette.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
cadffm

Running osnaps are ON by default [F3] to toggle,

but you don't need to change it, just make sure that OSNAPCOORD is set to 1 (or 2)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
oliverVCGW3

Okay that worked! Again, I'm sorry I really should know these things but I'm still learning.

Now that have moved my drawing to 0,0,0 should it run better?

Message 9 of 14
oliverVCGW3

I have set the Osnapcoord to 1 (it was on 2 but not 0)

Message 10 of 14
cadffm

Why you changed it from 2 to 1 - if 2 is also okay (and the default value)?

Value 1 means that it is acting in automation the same way as per keyboard and value 2, both ignores running osnap settings.

>>"Now that have moved my drawing to 0,0,0 should it run better?"

No, I just told you how to set WCS as current coordinate system (command: UCS world),

that changes NOTHING! Except the properties palette or the command ID will show your coordinates related to the WCS.

As I write: Use command ID and click in the middle of your model space drawing to know at which (wcs) coordinate you are working.

Or zoom to your objects, select  a line and share a screenshot of your properties palette

And if you're really interested in understanding and solving the problem: Share the DWG with us!
(and show us a line or two to talk about)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
Kent1Cooper

To see whether you are very far from the origin, you can also enable Coordinates display in the status bar at the bottom.  Pick on the three-lines "hamburger" icon at lower right, and check Coordinates at the top [I don't have LT, so I hope this is there].  Then at the left end of the status bar, you'll see the coordinates of your cursor.  If the numbers don't change as you move the cursor around, click in there to change the cursor-following mode, or hit Ctrl+I.

Kent1Cooper_0-1661337456326.png

What kinds of numbers do you see there?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 12 of 14
oliverVCGW3

"Why you changed it from 2 to 1 - if 2 is also okay (and the default value)?

Value 1 means that it is acting in automation the same way as per keyboard and value 2, both ignores running osnap settings."

I didn't know if switching it would help. As I have tried to make clear I don't know a lot about this stuff.

"No, I just told you how to set WCS as current coordinate system (command: UCS world),

that changes NOTHING! Except the properties palette or the command ID will show your coordinates related to the WCS.

As I write: Use command ID and click in the middle of your model space drawing to know at which (wcs) coordinate you are working."

I have identified my current WCS and got my drawing centred on 0,0,0.

"And if you're really interested in understanding and solving the problem: Share the DWG with us!
(and show us a line or two to talk about)"

As mentioned previously I cannot share the drawing as it contains sensitive information which I am not permitted to share. If not being able to share the drawing means I cannot be helped then so be it. Besides, the lines that were causing the issue have been deleted and redrawn as it was quicker to do this than fix them individually.

Thank you for the guidance you have provided.

Message 13 of 14
oliverVCGW3
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thank you for this. LT is very similar to what you have shown and I can now see/identify my WCS.

Message 14 of 14
cadffm

1 >>" and got my drawing centred on 0,0,0."

I asked about the coordinates, where it was before in wcs?

2 >>"As mentioned previously I cannot share the drawing as it contains sensitive information "

Saveas to another filename, ERASE sensitive informations and Layouts and whatever, PURGE all unused stuff, QSAVE

? Becaue of point 3 no longer needed

3 >>"Besides, the lines that were causing the issue have been deleted and redrawn as it was quicker to do this than fix them individually."

Okay, so you will never know what the problem was and it doesn't make sense to talk about it.

Next time, make a copy of the file. Talking about an issue what gone and you can not reproduce it.. useless.

🤠

Sebastian

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report