Did you mean: 

Line command - can't draw second point

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
vwcluk37
3505 Views, 7 Replies

Line command - can't draw second point

I have problems with the Line command.  After specifying the first absolute coordinate point (30,20), i tried to type in (80, 20) and further points, but the line just won't land anywhere on the panel.  I have doubled checked the Drafting Settings and Pointer Input Settings as shown and tried to choose both Polar format and Cartesian format and both don't work. 

I checked on website and heard of dynamic input and do not know how i could switch off as i couldn't find the icon and i also don't know whether it is related to my problem.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

F12 is the shortcut for dynamic input.

The icon is the one I've highlighted here: dynamic.JPG

Message 3 of 8
beyoungjr
in reply to: vwcluk37

Dynamic Input is on by default in a standard installation.  Previous post correctly shows placement of the icon when displayed but the icon is not displayed by default so F12 will help.  If you wish to display the Dynamic Input icon you must click the "Hamburger Menu" (3 horizontal lines stacked) at the far right of the bottom screen icon bar.  That menu shows a list of many icon buttons that are set to display by checkmark or not display.

Note that standard behavior of Dynamic Input is Relative Rectangular Coordinates but could be adjusted for Absolute Rectangular Coordinates (I never change this setting).  If you need absolute input then you can simply click the icon off and type the values necessary.  Also, Polar coordinates is initially offered when Dynamic Input is on but as soon as you use a comma the display will show input boxes for rectangular (X & Y).  You may use the tab key to switch between any input boxes.

It is likely that your line is simply trying to draw far off screen due to such large distance values.  You might want to double-click your mouse wheel once you think you have placed a line so that a Zoom->Extents might reveal what you have drawn.

Hope this helps,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 4 of 8
GrantsPirate

From the Help file

To Specify Relative or Absolute Coordinates in the Dynamic Input Tooltip

• To enter absolute coordinates when relative coordinates are displayed in the tooltip, enter # to temporarily override the DYNPICOORDS system variable.
  • To enter relative coordinates when absolute coordinates are displayed, enter @ to temporarily override the DYNPICOORDS system variable.
  • To enter absolute coordinates relative to the World Coordinate System (WCS), enter * as the prefix to the coordinates.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 5 of 8
vwcluk37
in reply to: beyoungjr

Thanks.  It really helps.

Message 6 of 8
vwcluk37
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Thanks for your info.  It helps.

Message 7 of 8

Thanks for your info.  It helps!

Message 8 of 8
Frodgers73

I thought I had the same problem, turns out I was hitting tab to go to the second coordinate y value.  I was trying to put 2 in for the value, the lines kept coming out at 2 degrees.  The comma set me right.  I also use Inventor so I use tab frequently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost