Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave my numlock alone!

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
a.zwegers
932 Views, 23 Replies

Leave my numlock alone!

Dear Autodesk, would you please refrain from toggling my numlock (like when I use the publish command) without explicit, written, permission.

There is no reason whatsoever to abuse this input key and it completely violates my computer security and experience.

Tags (1)
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
RobDraw
in reply to: a.zwegers

You're barking up the wrong tree. AutoCAD does not toggle the number lock. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 24
pendean

Doesn't happen here in R2018-2019-2020: what variant and year version of AutoCAD are you using?
And what add-ons do you have?

Message 4 of 24
a.zwegers
in reply to: pendean

AutoCAD 2019, Windows 10, and it has been doing this for ever (since 2008, XP at least):

- numlock is on

- big A

- Publish

- "Do you want to save the current list of sheets?" No

- process done

- numlock is now off

Message 5 of 24
RobDraw

@a.zwegers wrote:

AutoCAD 2019, Windows 10, and it has been doing this for ever (since 2008, XP at least):

- numlock is on

- big A

- Publish

- "Do you want to save the current list of sheets?" No

- process done

- numlock is now off

I've been using publish for nearly two decades and have never seen that. It is not typical AutoCAD behavior.

Rob

Message 6 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> AutoCAD 2019, Windows 10, and it has been doing

>> this for ever (since 2008, XP at least):

Not for me, not with 2020 (tried), not with 2019 (tried), not with older versions (not tried yet, but would have remembered if that would have happened).

So I guess you need to think about tools you are using or software you are using besides of AutoCAD (e.g. the PDF Viewer when it is opened after _PUBLISH, or the printer driver that gets active when publishing).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 24
a.zwegers
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Ok, pdf viewer is adobe acrobat reader DC; printer: AutoCAD PDF (High Quality Print.pc3)...

Been using AutoCAD since '95, been annoyed by this behavior for ages, only found out it's the publish command fairly recently (because Microsoft told me after I complained to them about numlock behavior).

I can reproduce it on 3 other machines here (same OS and versions). 

I tried the "numlocker" app, but AutoCAD overrules that.

Message 8 of 24
RobDraw

@a.zwegers wrote:

only found out it's the publish command fairly recently (because Microsoft told me after I complained to them about numlock behavior).

And you believed them?

Rob

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

I can't make that happen on either 2019.1.2 or 2020.1, Win10Pro, 1903 18362.418 (I don't have any older versions currently installed)

Using AutoCAD PDF (High Quality Print).pc3

Open in viewer (Adobe Acrobat Reader DC) when done (tried with this unchecked too, no difference)

I've never seen this behavior with any Acad version, from '98LT to present

There has to be something outside of AutoCAD that your (4?) machines have in common that is causing it- software, network environment, hardware, antivirus.....

I tried several variations of settings related to publish and plot (drivers, output locations, etc.), numlock stayed on throughout....sorry, but no ideas.

Message 10 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I can reproduce it on 3 other machines here 

Next time you get a new system ... make sure it's a clean Windows system, without any other so called "tools" installed with some pre-setup (like some notebook vendor do that).

Make sure you have a very basic keyboard without any special keys or programming.

Install AutoCAD as the very first application, test _PUBLISH and see how the NumLock behaves ... then install app-by-app and with every single installation test it again.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 11 of 24
pendean

Which keyboard and keyboard driver are you using?
Same for your colleagues?

Message 12 of 24
a.zwegers
in reply to: pendean

Heh, you've all not been reading the process I posted... I go to the big A (top left) and then select publish.

I can replicate your results using "_publish" as typed command, and my numlock will not toggle.

When I use the interface buttons as described earlier however, it toggles my numlock off.

I type/shortcut the majority of my commands, but my colleagues do not (and I cannot make them) and the results of either process should be the same - but isn't. Either way shouldn't toggle my numlock.

Message 13 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> When I use the interface buttons as described earlier however,

>> it toggles my numlock off.

Not for me.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 14 of 24
RobDraw

@a.zwegers wrote:

Heh, you've all not been reading the process I posted...

Really? How can you tell? Is it because we can't replicate your local issue?

It doesn't surprise any of us that you can reproduce it on other machines in your office. They were probably set-up in a similar fashion to yours.

Again, this is most likely not an AutoCAD issue. There is something else in your system that you've been using all along that is causing this.

Rob

Message 15 of 24
cadffm

@a.zwegers  schrieb:

Heh, you've all not been reading the process I posted... I go to the big A (top left) and then select publish.

I   H A V E !

I can replicate your results using "_publish" as typed command, and my numlock will not toggle.

WE NOT

When I use the interface buttons as described earlier however, it toggles my numlock off.

NOT ON MY SIDE

I type/shortcut the majority of my commands, but my colleagues do not (and I cannot make them) and the results of either process should be the same - but isn't. Either way shouldn't toggle my numlock.

So you have to find what is special with your computer/setup

>"and it has been doing this for ever (since 2008, XP at least):"

Are you talking about only about your Company workstations, or also about your private computer?

Is it the same as another windows-user with full admin rights?

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 16 of 24
a.zwegers
in reply to: cadffm

Hey, I see "_PUBLISH" a few times in the replies, and I try that and the numlock doesn't toggle - ever so sorry to assume you did the same.

Thing is, especially because I get different results through different interface processes - it only becomes more likely that it is AutoCAD doing this. (besides that no other app or program on my machine ever toggles my numlock and AutoCAD does.)

On all the trying to divert to other software: I personally do not run all that more then AutoCAD, other what the OS requires to actually run (I run a barebones windows as much as I can, without cortana, or even a desktop background etc.).

I've experienced this on varied PC's from 4 different companies and on 3 private ones. Reason why I'm bringing it up is because a co-worker was about to thow his laptop out of the window because his numlock had been toggled once again.

Message 17 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I've experienced this on varied PC's from 4 different

>> companies and on 3 private ones

as I wrote, verify what is equal to these special systems (same vendor, same tools, same keyboard, ...).

Something is special to your situation because all the ones here answering have read a lot of threads here and also have used a lot of different systems, now one else than you seems to have this issue.

It might be correct that AutoCAD "A" ==> _PUBLISH initiates the toggling of NumLock on your system(s), but I'm sure not AutoCAD itself toogles it, but a driver or an installed software reacts on that action inside AutoCAD.

>> I see "_PUBLISH" a few times in the replies

From my side yes, I always write English command names with an underline before to make sure that for other readers using a non-English version of AutoCAD the command works too.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous

I agree that sometimes accessing a command from different methods (toolbar, ribbon, command line, etc.) can sometimes produce different results, or unwanted side effects. That's why I used your method/process of going to the "big A" and so forth to test, instead of my usual method of going through sheet set manager or simply selecting multiple layouts, then RMB and hit "publish selected layouts", otherwise the test would have been useless. There has to be a common thread among the machines affected. Hardware, software, network, system or other setting, something. Have you looked at the Windows system event logs to see what all is going on at the time of the glitch? Doesn't even have to be something that got flagged as an error or warning, could be something totally innocuous. Worth a look....if you see a common event amongst the affected machines, all occurring at the same interval after publish command is initiated, that could point to a solution.

Good luck.

Message 19 of 24
RobDraw

@a.zwegers wrote:

Reason why I'm bringing it up is because a co-worker was about to thow his laptop out of the window because his numlock had been toggled once again.

He should access publish in a different way. Problem solved.

Rob

Message 20 of 24
pendean

You decided to preach instead of answering a couple of questions. let's try again

1. Which keyboard and keyboard driver are you using?
2. Same for your colleagues?

I am doing exactly what you are stating, nothing more. Not happening here in AutoCAD or LT or ARCH versions in 2018-2019-2020 in Win10Pro. Not sure what else to do to replicate your issue. Time for you to dig a lot deeper if you want remote help.

Tip: to break the habit of others, in addition to lots of training obviously, it might be a good time to adopt SSM and teach publishing from there? SOmething to consider it you've not adopted it already.

BTW, you can always pay for personal support here at the Autodesk Marketplace https://servicesmarketplace.autodesk.com/providers/product/autocad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report