Issues with UCS and named views

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
2409 Views, 14 Replies

Issues with UCS and named views

Using AutoCad 2019.

I have set my UCS to a face of an 3D object.

I clicked on a face of the view cube to make sure that the UCS should be on an orthongonal view, but the view controls show the view as a "Custom View". 

If i set the view controls to a face, it shifts on my UCS and i do not see what i am supposed to see.

UCSDETECT is set to off.

I saw in other posts that if you used pushpull that it would potentially mess this up.

I have copied all the items in the drawing into another clean drawing, but the problem is persistent.

I have spent a full day trying to fix this to no avail.

I can't seem to find this in the topics.

Thanks for your help.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
cadffm
in reply to: Anonymous

A VIEW unnamed and temporary, but you can save the settings and give them a name (named views, command: VIEW - you will see the predefined standardviews and there settings),

the predefined named* View TOP for example is the point of view perpendicular to the XY-Plane of WCS.

If you change the ucs to a non planar (to wcs) ucs and use the viewcube-TOP,

that will change the current view from named* TOP to your own (unnamed) view!

The command VIEW works different to the ViewCube,

if you set TOP current, it will change the current UCS too, because the (TOP)View setting is: Restore also the UCS.

Read Help[F1] about VIEW

Test and play with own (named)views als named UCS (command UCS, named)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: cadffm

the issue is that i need orthogonal views at my ucs.

the named view, when using my ucs says custom view and indicates that it is not orthogonal.

is there any way to make a ucs so that it has orthogonal views?

Message 4 of 15
cadffm

You have to distinguish between
"View" - The view to your model, View-point and View direction
   and
VIEW - A named setup in AutoCAD which includes UCS and View-informations

If you set your UCS current and use the Viewcube"Top", The view is othogonal to your current ucs.

Another way: Set your UCS current and use command PLAN, use option CURRENT - It´s the same thing.

If you like create your own named-UCS:

Set your UCS setting current, start command UCS, use option named, option save, MYUCS1

If you like create your own named-VIEW:

Set your UCS current and use command PLAN, use option CURRENT,

start command VIEW and create a new named-VIEW.

(read in Help[F1] and tutorial or youtube about command VIEW, note there is a option LAYER snapshot - you can disable that option in this case, UCS option should be enabled)

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
SEANT61

@Anonymous wrote:

the issue is that i need orthogonal views at my ucs.

the named view, when using my ucs says custom view and indicates that it is not orthogonal.

is there any way to make a ucs so that it has orthogonal views?

Is the process demonstrated via screencast in this post what you seek?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/help-origin-point-of-preset-orthographic-ucs-keeps-changing/m-p/7279431#M892067

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: SEANT61

Thank you both for your responses

yes, i get orthogonal views from the UCS using the viewcube, however, the view control always says custom view on any view that is not aligned with the XYZ of the WCS.

i have the components in viewports and i am trying to dimension them on a layout in paperspace.

If they are on a custom view (from the view control) it tells me that i cannot dimension them that i need orthogonal views).

it seems to me the only way to get the orthogonal views to dimension in paperspace is copy all of the items and then rotate them so that they are in a UCS that is aligned with the XYZ coordinate system.

otherwise, although i have set and named a UCS that is aligned with the item, in the viewport, i cannot dimension the item unless i use the standard named views (from the view control - ie top, right, left, back, etc) which push me back to the WCS - the view controls always say that i have a custom view, even though the viewcube indicates that i am on a common view - this makes sense if the view control always refer back to WCS, i guess.

If the view controls are always related back to WCS, then it appears that i will only be able to do this (dimension the items in viewports in paperspace) in a UCS that shares the XYZ coordinate system from the WCS.

i did do a presspull action on some items, so i tried clipboard copying the whole drawing to another, new, clean file, but the problem persisted.

Message 7 of 15
cadffm

Something is going wrong here, totally.
None of the statements makes sense to me (so I do not understand everything).

You should create dimension  in paperspace, every time (It makes sense to set the WCS in the paper area.), just curious.

Can you please give a SIMPLE example.dwg,
saved in the situation in which you want to create a dimension (with which command?)

It would probably explain a lot (and try to understand my last answers again, but me is aware that this is difficult. Should I write it in German? ;-))

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

here is a file - i extracted one item.

i have the named view and it is showing in the named view.

the XY coordinates are slightly off of the XY for the WCS.

in the layout it does not allow me to dimension the drawing unless i shift it to a common view related to the WCS.

danke

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

i have always used the dim command for dimensions.

when you asked what command i was using to dimension i looked at those and found others.

i just tried with dimlinear and it works...after all these years i did not realize that there were other ways of dimensioning.

Message 10 of 15
cadffm

I just open your file and set the current color to red, SET DIMASSOC TO 2 (!), no issues.

http://recordit.co/BRkomGkQ4h

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

try it with Bemabung

(Abmessungen)

Message 12 of 15
cadffm

Thats why i asked for, ok.
DIM command is not designed for this situation (Custom View in paperspace
viewports).
I remember in modelspace it works better, but i can not test it yet.

I never use this (new) command for my daily job because 1. works with an older version and 2. i can find the right dimension objecttype an reference points myself.
But this DIM command works very smart for simple dimensioning jobs.

I know one fact more now, thats good and i can help others in the future faster.
THX

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

Vielen Dank

Message 14 of 15
mgalicki7M78A

I have an issue where when I rotate the ucs to match something, when I pick the top viewcube it doesn't rotate ?

So why is my viewcube not working? What would stop it from working? Thanks

Message 15 of 15
pendean
in reply to: mgalicki7M78A

@mgalicki7M78A wrote:

I have an issue where when I rotate the ucs to match something, when I pick the top viewcube it doesn't rotate ?

So why is my viewcube not working? What would stop it from working? Thanks

Your AutoCAD version as listed in ABOUT command is...?
WindowsOS?

Restart the program help any to get rid of the issue?

Is the top of the Cube highlighting just before you click on it? No highlighting means nothing selected.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta