Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create a reusable block with a field that links to the viewport scale?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kbriscoeV365Z
458 Views, 5 Replies

Is it possible to create a reusable block with a field that links to the viewport scale?

Hello. 

I've set up a Title Text block that links to all the important information in my sheet set and custom sheet properties. The only issue I am having is the field for the showing the scale of the viewport. 

When I set it up on my template file the title block links correctly and displays the the scale of the viewport. I only ever have the single viewport on my drawings, and so the viewport is in the drawing template file.

However. When I create a new drawing using that DWG as my template file, then insert my title text block (which I put on the palette) all the fields link correctly to the new drawing except for the viewport scale. it just shows #######.

Is what I am trying even possible or do I have to create an attribute and create the link to the viewport for each and every drawing? 

I have attached a transmittal export which has the sheetset file and the drawing template file with the Title Text block in it.

Thanks very much!

Keir

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cadffm
in reply to: kbriscoeV365Z

EDIT: Sorry, just forget my answer - I stay out of sheetsets, I ignored that the first time I read it.

>>"Is it possible to create a reusable block with a field that links to the viewport scale"

If you add the fieldcode into your attribute

and you "reuse" this blockreference by

copy them incl. the viewport: Yes. Otherwise not.

You can not set up a fieldcode for an unknown object.

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
kbriscoeV365Z
in reply to: cadffm

Thanks. If you know how to do it without the sheetset that would be great.

Your comment reminded me to add that I have tried linking the Plotscale field that shows when first opening the linking dialog. I have also tried selecting Object then clicking on the actual viewport. neither option works.

thanks again

keir

Message 4 of 6
cadffm

field -> object -> Viewport  -> plotscale

Sebastian

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
TomBeauford

Field → Objects → Object → Custom scale → 1" = #'

displays something like 1" = 20'

there are other Custom scale options pick the one that works for you.

You can even add a lisp macro to select the viewport to build the Field expression shown at the bottom of the Field dialog box. Haven't messed with it in years though as we put graphic scales on our drawings.

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter
Message 6 of 6
dbroad

If you decide to use the Architectural Imperial.dwt template (OOTB), please edit it before use by deleting the top 2 Title Blocks placed in the Arch D layout that have ##### field codes.  There are actually 3 overlapping titleblocks in that file.  I think it's been an error in the installation files for as long as AutoCAD has had the sheetset feature (15+ years I suspect).

Viewports in sheetsets will automatically report their viewport scales if you establish callouts and Label blocks for views that use sheetset fields in their attributes, such as the SheetSetPlaceholder ViewportScale type and your specified format.  For example, in the Architectural Imperial.dwt template, the Drawing Block Title block can be used to label model space views placed on sheets.

If you wanted to create your own custom block to label viewports, you would need to have a custom program to place the block and to fill out the attribute by selecting the viewport to create the fieldcode.  This is more complicated than using sheetsets.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report