Did you mean: 

Inserting one dwg into another dwg

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
brad_walkerLEUWS
280 Views, 6 Replies

Inserting one dwg into another dwg

I have two drawings. One drawing is a very basic layout of a manufacturing floor. One drawing was supplier to me by a machine vendor. I'm trying to insert the machine drawing into my floor plan and have the machine to scale so I can see what it looks like on the floor. Every time I try to insert, my machine inserts as about 10X larger than it actually is. I have attached both dwg's. 

Sorry if this is a dump question. I've only ever used Solidworks, and AutoCAD is completely new to me. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cadffm
in reply to: brad_walkerLEUWS

Hi,

you forgot(?) to set the insertion units in file 123740-00-B.dwg (set to 0),

this way, you have to take a look to INSUNITSDEFSOURCE setting.

You said a factor of 10, so your Insunitsdefsource is not set to 0, but on 1 for Inchs I think (dangerous attitude if you are not familiar with the context).

But the better way is, to set the right insunits setting in your sourcefile (123740-00-B.dwg), I guess they are Millimeter(4).

BTW: The sourcefile is Millimeter, insunits=4

So the machine is drawn 304.878x bigger than your floor, the scale factor between insunits 2&4 = 0.00328

IF insunits are set well, Acad will calculate it for you.

(If my math is wrong, sorry, I am not much familiar with imperial length units / sometimes I mixed up words&scales)

- Sebastian -
Message 3 of 7
pendean

10x? Thanks for sharing the DWGs, your smaller outline drawing is in Inches, the title-block drawing is in mm.

The title-block drawing is also not ALL drawn at 1:1 scale: looks to be 2x for the details, 1:1 on plans. So it's a mix and match. I can't tell what the big red element size is actually.

And your outline "building manufacturing floor" drawing is only 150inches by 165inches, way off scale too.

What size should that be? You might be able to scale it. Looks like you are not working with usable content for this one.

HTH

Message 4 of 7
brad_walkerLEUWS
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your reply. I'm confused as to how my manufacturing floor is 150"x165". When I use the units command, I have that set to feet (which is what it should be). Is that field not driving the dimensions on the dwg?

I knew the machine drawing was in mm, but I assumed AutoCAD would convert that to feet when I inserted it into a dwg that (I thought) was in feet.
Message 5 of 7
cadffm

>>I assumed AutoCAD would convert that to feet when I inserted it into a dwg that (I thought) was in feet.

It will, if you are using INSERT, XREF or CLASSICINSERT command AND If you set mm as insunits in the other (source)file.

If you keep  insunits on 0, you have to set Insunitsdefsource to the right value.

[F1]

- Sebastian -
Message 6 of 7
pendean

@brad_walkerLEUWS wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I'm confused as to how my manufacturing floor is 150"x165". When I use the units command, I have that set to feet (which is what it should be).

UNITS is the wrong tool: DWGUNITS is the correct command. The prompts are self explanatory.

@brad_walkerLEUWS wrote:
...I knew the machine drawing was in mm, but I assumed AutoCAD would convert that to feet when I inserted it into a dwg that (I thought) was in feet.

See the INSUNITS post from another user above.

Message 7 of 7

Thank you for the replies every one. I was assigning units to the drawing incorrectly. As it normally is, the computer was right, and I was wrong. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost