Insert block always same layer

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dvrVSNMW
1286 Views, 6 Replies

Insert block always same layer

Hello,

I have made a small block, which I insert in my drawings.

I wan't it to be a fixed layer assigned to the block. Is this possible?

Cause now the block is given the active layer in my drawing. Which is sometimes an invisalbe layer when I plot my drawing...

Any tips ?

Regards,

DVR

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ВeekeeCZ
in reply to: dvrVSNMW

The best built-in tool for this is using Tool Palettes (crtl+3), see HERE  in help. Once you have a tool created, you can adjust its properties (RT shortcut menu), one of them is a LAYER.

Z9E3zK5E_0-1629962173164.png

Message 3 of 7
dvrVSNMW

This is solved for me.

But is it also possible to "assign" this to the block itself. In the original block drawing? 

Cause we are with 10 cad drawing people (drawers ? 🙂 ) ... and now every one has to change these settings for multiple blocks. I like to change this block on the server. Is that also possible? 

Message 4 of 7
ВeekeeCZ

Well, say you have one drawing called MyBlocksLibrary that contains your blocks inserted in your invisible layer. Now, while you are in this drawing, you create a tool by drag-n-drop this block into Tool Palette, it will assign that layer to it.

Message 5 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@dvrVSNMW wrote:

.... is it also possible to "assign" this to the block itself. In the original block drawing? .... 

Not in the way I think you're imagining.  BUT are all the parts in the drawing/Block drawn on Layer 0?  That is, does the entire Block appear to be on the current Layer whenever you Insert one, and not only parts of it?

If that's the case, one thing you could do would be to change all those pieces in the source drawing to be on the desired Layer, not Layer 0.  Then no matter what Layer is current when you Insert it, it will appear to be on that desired Layer, and will Plot according to that Layer's settings, etc.

But this approach does have drawbacks.  If any Layer you Inserted any of them on gets frozen, any such Block(s) on that Layer will disappear, despite their parts not being drawn on that frozen Layer.  If any Layer you Inserted one on gets locked, you won't be able to manipulate any such Block(s) on it, despite their parts not being drawn on that locked Layer.  And if you ever use data extraction or other routines that pull information about Blocks including their Layer, the results will reflect the Layer each was Inserted on, not the desired Layer that it appears to be on.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 7
dvrVSNMW
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Hello,

yes, only the parts of the block that are in Layer "0" are on the wrong layer if I have imported the block.

So I just have to change the parts of the block who are in layer '0' to another layer and this should be fixed ... ?

We don't work with frozen layers so I don't think we will have problems with the drawbacks u tell me.

Message 7 of 7
Kent1Cooper

@dvrVSNMW wrote:

So I just have to change the parts of the block who are in layer '0' to another layer and this should be fixed ... ?

Yes, if all the described drawbacks are acceptable to you.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report