Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import GIS data to create a 3D model in AutoCAD with a raster image as the base

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
rachel1cross
418 Views, 4 Replies

Import GIS data to create a 3D model in AutoCAD with a raster image as the base

I have the educational software which doesn't include all of the Map 3D functionality so it's very confusing as the AutoCAD help documentation references tools I don't have. 

I have downloaded Building Height and contour data from Digimap and I want to drape a raster image over the contour data as the backdrop/ base surface for my 3D model.  I have the instructions on how to do it in AutoCAD Map 3D, but not in straight AutoCAD and I am struggling as the file specs are different.  Please can someone tell me the equivalent of the attached instructions for basic AutoCAD (which doesn't recognise DTM or ASCII formats)? https://digimap.edina.ac.uk/help/gis/autocad/bha_autocad/
Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Pointdump
in reply to: rachel1cross

Hi Rachel,
The educational version of Map 3D has every bit of functionality, so I guess what you have is Vanilla AutoCAD, which means you won't be able to do much with GIS data.
As for draping an image over a surface, I don't know if you can do that even with Map 3D. Certainly you can with Civil 3D.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 5

So what data do you have and what format is it in?

Do you by chance have Lidar data in your area?

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Pointdump

Hi,

>> draping an image over a surface, I don't know if you

>> can do that even with Map 3D

Yes, that can be done.

First using command _MAPCONNECT to add a DEM surface layer, second add (again using _MAPCONNECT) the raster image(s). If they are added later (or you change the map-draworder of the FDO layers) the raster images are placed on top of the dem model ... but: you need to set the visual style to "realistic" to see them 😉

@rachel1cross 

>> I have downloaded Building Height and contour data

I'm not sure what is "building height", but to project raster images onto a surface you need DEM data (raster files, which represent elevation for each pixel).

Having contour line data does not help here.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
Pointdump
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred! I learn something new every day.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report