Did you mean: 

I undid multiple commands - won't redo back

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
gnarkill283
5883 Views, 9 Replies

I undid multiple commands - won't redo back

I undid multiple commands to see something I accidentally deleted and made sure not to touch or zoom anything. I then redid a number of commands until it stopped letting me saying there's nothing to undo but I hadn't reached the point where I started undoing. Why?!

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
gnarkill283
in reply to: gnarkill283

saying there's nothing to redo*
Message 3 of 10
john.vellek

Hi @gnarkill283,

Did you use the U or Undo command?  Here is a description of UNDO.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 10
RobDraw

If you had saved before doing multiple undos, it wouldn't have been an issue.

Also, in this particular case, wanting to see what you had last deleted, you could have used the OOPS command.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 5 of 10
dbroad

An alternative to using undo or u is to use oops instead.  It will unerase the last set of items deleted without otherwise undoing your work.

Sounds like you might be confusing undo, redo, and mredo.  If you are using the ribbon, you may be using mredo.  Redo and mredo are very finicky as you seem to be aware of.  Any command issued between an undo and mredo will interfere with being able to redo forward to the point you began undoing.  Just remember to oops instead.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 6 of 10
gnarkill283
in reply to: dbroad

I shouldn't have said that I accidentally deleted something. What really happened and it happens a lot is that I delete something with information that I need to input into a new tag or whatever. So after making many changes, I'll realize I need that information so I will undo to see it and redo back to enter it in. I literally do nothing else but press ctrl-z to back up to that info and ctrl-y to get back to where I was and it won't always go back. I am not zooming or touching anything. It doesn't make any sense and is worrisome. I guess if it happens again, I will track exactly where it messes up.
Message 7 of 10
RobDraw

Since you have learned that it is risky to do what you did, I would hope that you save your work before undoing a bunch of steps, knowing that you will need to redo.

Lesson learned?

Rob

Message 8 of 10
dbroad

If @RobDraw hasn't solved your problem, then use CTRL+X to erase what you might need again and CTRL+V to paste it back when you need it.
Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 9 of 10
gnarkill283
in reply to: dbroad

Thanks but so far I haven't been able to replicate the problem so who knows what happened. What I was looking for was someone knowing if there is a limit to how many undos or redos you could do or if there are any settings that limit the memory used to store undos and redos like other programs. I can't seem to find any settings like that. Also I found out you can't undo or redo through a edit xref in place.
Message 10 of 10
RobDraw

So, in the future, you're not going to rely on undo/redo for multiple steps, right?

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report