Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2018 Crash Tracker

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
jwinklerSB4SV
4566 Views, 31 Replies

AutoCAD 2018 Crash Tracker

I have decided to start this post to keep track of AutoCAD crashes.

My company has purchased a brand new machine, specifically designed and enhanced for Autodesk 2018 products.  We have purchased the Architectural Engineering Package, including AutoCAD 2018.   We researched and found out about the service packs/updates and installed.  We have installed the latest version of Windows 10, automatically updated.  We are paying a 3rd party company handling our virus protection and they are very experienced with Autodesk products. I continue to experience AutoCAD crashes on a daily basis.

I spend at least 1hr per day researching solutions on the AutoCAD forum.  I have followed the forum tips where users are given a list of hundreds of settings to shut off to make AutoCAD stop crashing.  Most of the tips are system variables which the average user would know nothing about.  In most cases, users are told that there are changes that need to be made on THEIR systems - as if it was the user's fault.  Recommendations like shutting of the file tab previews, shutting off the graphics card enhancements, shutting off various in-system apps, shutting off internet help.  If these fancy features make a brand new top-of the line workstation crash, why are we paying for them?

I have worked with AutoCAD since before Microsoft Windows was available, and I have experienced crashing, and performance slow-downs more frequently with each new version.  Not to mention, time is lost learning the new interface for every version.  But enough about that.....

I have a good opportunity, because I am starting here with a clean slate.  We easily meet AutoDesks' recommendations for system requirements and this machine has never been used for anything else.  Windows 10 is automatically updated - including our new state of the art graphics card.  If AutoCAD crashes  ---- it is probably not because of anything on this end.

I want to get to the bottom of it.  I have some general theories.

1.  AutoCAD 2018 has not been adequately tested with Windows 10.

2.  AutoCAD is communicating via the internet to a spotty website or information source.

3.  Windows Update activity is causing unexpected problems with AutoCAD.

I will attempt to update this post with every crash - starting with Today's unexplained crash.  Please do not bother to send me recommendations about settings to change etc.  I have read them all and applied more than enough.

2018 02-02 Unexplained Crash when switching from model space to paper space (All my thumbnails previews are shut off, and layout tabs are shut off.)  No other applications open except Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.  3 AutoCAD dwgs open, 2 layout tabs each.

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

Hi,

>> Unexplained Crash when switching from model space to paper space

Sometimes critical if the layouts have a pagesetup to a plotter that is not really compatible with your current operating system release/update.

Not only AutoCAD has it's troubles with Windows updates, also printer and plotter vendors have their issues with that.

That's one of the reasons why I create layouts based on "DWG to PDF.pc3" and change it to a plotter when I plot, but only as temporary setting. That also has the advantage for others opening my dwg-files so they don't get the message "unknown plotter assigned in layout XXX".

To your statements:

>> AutoCAD 2018 has not been adequately tested with Windows 10

That is partially true, but worse about that is that Microsoft creates major updates and call them all Windows 10. From my point of view "anniversary update" could be called Windows 11, "creators update" could be called Windows 12 and "fall creators update" could be called Windows 13.

These updates are really different versions of Windows and giving them the same name "Windows 10" make most of us thinking that are just minor changes ... not true, of course. And so drivers written and tested on "Windows 10" may even not had the chance to be tested on "Windows 10 fall creators update" because they were released much earlier ... same as Autodesk or other products.

AutoCAD 2018 was released before creators update and much before fall creators update ... how should Autodesk had any chance to test AutoCAD 2018 on an operating system that was even not available at the release date of AutoCAD 2018?

>> AutoCAD is communicating via the internet to a spotty website or information source.

Don't understand what is meant by that.

>> Windows Update activity is causing unexpected problems with AutoCAD.

True, not just AutoCAD, you can read about a lot of software from a lot of different vendors having troubles with the Microsoft update policy.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 32

Regarding the  spotty internet connection, I was referring to something similar to the issue described in this post.

fatal-error-unhandled-exception-in-autocad-2018

Message 4 of 32

2018 02-07 Crashes consistently when switching from modelspace to paper space tab.  I know to save before doing this.

Message 5 of 32

2018-0212 AutoCAD Freezes while trying to change the layer of Viewport.  This is a dwg with 3 layout tabs.  This is a simple 2D lines and text drawing with a few blocks of Fire Alarm symbols.  I had turned the layouttabs=1 because I needed to create the paperspace tabs.  Whole window is now unresponsive, I can't even minimize it. Total Time Lost = 30 mins.

2018-02-12 AutoCAD Frozen.JPG

Message 6 of 32

Hi,

>> Whole window is now unresponsive, I can't even minimize it

Can you please upload that drawing so we can test it on our systems?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 7 of 32
john.vellek
in reply to: jwinklerSB4SV

Hi @jwinklerSB4SV,

I am sorry you are having problems switching tabs. It appears that you have some customization in your installation.

Capture.PNG

Ca you try logging into your computer as a new user, and without any customizations, run AutoCAD and see if you continue to have problems?

I would also like to see one of your typical drawing files so I can try to duplicate this action on my side.

Please also provide for me a NFO file that I can examine.  If you would like to do so privately, you can email it to me at john.vellek@autodesk.com

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 32

2018-02-13 Froze at the end of the day while trying to save and close a window.  I don't really have time to run diagnostics.  AutoCAD was consistently crashing long before I applied the customizations that are highlighted in your post.  Are you saying that it is risky to customize AutoCAD?  I really have made a point not to do too much beyond the AutoCAD forum recommendations for improved performance (which I shouldn't need to do anyway).

I am wondering if all these flyout toolbars and preview thumbnails (Sheet Set Mgr, Layer Properties, Xref Manager, Properties) are using a lot of RAM, and maybe AutoSave during a command pushes AutoCAD over the limit.  I also noticed that I have a bad habit of hitting the Esc key multiple times after a command.  Maybe that adds up at the end of the day.

Message 9 of 32
john.vellek

Hi @jwinklerSB4SV,

Customizations are a great asset when using AutoCAD. However when things are not working properly, they are definitely something to be considered.

I run AutoCAD 2016, 2017, and 2018 with numerous different customer files everyday and so far I don't have any crashes. That means there is likely something in your computer configuration, your environment or your software implementation that is different and is causing the errant behavior.

I suggest logging into your computer as a new Windows user with local administrator permissions. Run AutoCAD without any modifications or customization. If you are still seeing crashes then please submit the requested CER reports and keep track of the report numbers so we can investigate them.

Crashes at this point are typically then related to an OS environment issue such as corrupt C++ or a bad version of .NET Framework. Other possibilities are graphics drivers that might cause this kind of error, other applications including 3rd party add-ins, security software, network issues, etc.

I am happy to help investigate what might be causing your issues.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 10 of 32
jwinklerSB4SV
in reply to: john.vellek

2018-02-23 Crashed at the end of the day while trying to switch between model space and paper space.  2 dwg files open, about 5 layout tabs in each.  Simple lines and text drawings.  Model Space to Layout Tabs continues to be a cause of crashes.  I guess I won't be leaving early today.

Message 11 of 32
john.vellek

Hi @jwinklerSB4SV,

Did you submit a CER (crash report)? If so, please give me the  number so I can determine what happened.

Also, are you not performing manual Saves to create backup files? I suggest that anytime you perform significant actions in your drawing that it is a good time to save the data.  This is not true just in AutoCAD but in any application. Never rely on an AutoSAVE.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 32

Hi,

>> Crashed at the end of the day while trying to switch

>> between model space and paper space

Which printer and PC3/PMP and CTB/STB are assigned to these layouts?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 13 of 32

AutoCAD window unresponsive.  Trying to switch from model space to paper space after working all morning in model space.  The drawing has only 1 paper space tab.  This is a simple Lines and text riser diagram.  I switched on the log file recorder last week in anticipation, so I have posted the log file.  I also posted screenshots of the frozen window (not sure if that will help anything).

2018-02-27 AutoCAD Frozen 3.JPG

2018-02-27 AutoCAD Frozen.JPG
john.vellek has embedded your image(s) for clarity

Message 14 of 32
john.vellek

HI @jwinklerSB4SV,

Can you share the file with me at john.vellek@autodesk.com (if it needs to be private)?

The log file unfortunately doesn't show anything that would lead to a cause for this behavior.

Can you also please prepare a NFO file for me to examine? Are you using any 3rd party tools? Please also give me the OS build (WINVER).

It appears that you started with a 2013 version file. If you save it as a 2018 format does it improve the behavior at all?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 32
john.vellek

HI @jwinklerSB4SV,

Thanks again for sending me the NFO and the drawing file.

As far as the drawing is concerned, I noticed when I first opened it in AutoCAD 2016 that It showed quite a few proxies. It also had 2 xref's that were missing. i tried to detach them and only the titleblock allowed me to do so. I ran Audit and Purge and then saved in 2018 format.  I shifted the geometry closer to 0,0 and then copied the contents to a new drawing file.  I created a new page setup and applied it to the layout.

I noticed too, that you are missing several fonts and that Simplex is being used instead. This might be worth investigating as well. Either make all the fonts available or just change the text in the file to Simplex as a test to see if performance improves.

Please let me know if this file behaves any better than the original.

In regards to the NFO you sent me I see some things that might be worth investigating:

• AUDIODG.exe and Excel appear to be having some problems as shown by your Windows Error reporting.
  • zAccEvt.exe (ITsupport247) is also present and I am curious if this is a known app or something that is just buried in your system.
  • You have some Logitech drivers installed.  I am not clear if this is for the keyboard or mouse or something else but it would be nice to test your system without the drivers temporarily.
  • I see you also have LogMeIn installed. Is it possible to disable it at startup (MSCONFIG) to see if that changes AutoCAD's behavior?
  • You have a couple of print jobs that appear to be stalled in your print queue (this should not affect AutoCAD)

Lastly, can you give me the WINVER of your OS?

John Vellek

Message 16 of 32
jose
in reply to: john.vellek

I'm experiencing crashes when I'm working on AutoCAD Architecture 2018 Paperspace and try to stretch a dimension from a grip or just by snapping on the cursor on and endpoint. I didn't have this issues when I was using the 2017 version, my computer still the same Dell Precision T7810. I was forced to upgrade to the 2018 version, since the latest DWG's are no longer compatible with the DWG 2013 format. This is very aggravating, it's affecting my professional practice productivity, needs Auto Desk's immediate attention.

Message 17 of 32
john.vellek
in reply to: jose

Hi @jose,

I am sorry you are seeing this problem with your AutoCAD Architecture.  If you have crash report numbers that you have submitted, it would be very helpful in chasing down the cause of the crashes.

Also, if you could provide an NFO file for me that will give me some insight as to what is installed in your environment. Please tell me your exact version of AutoCAD Architecture too by typing About at the command line.

Lastly, is this happening in all projects/drawings or just specific ones?

John Vellek

Message 18 of 32

2018 03-27 Unexplained Crash when switching from model space to paper space (All my thumbnails previews are shut off, and layout tabs are shut off.)  No other applications open except Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.  3 AutoCAD dwgs open, 2 layout tabs each.  Lost 30 mins worth of work.  $$$$$$$$

Message 19 of 32

Going to try installing the AutoCAD 2018.1.2 Update.

Message 20 of 32
john.vellek

Hi @jwinklerSB4SV,

My first thought as a former CAD Manager is how often are you saving? This can prevent serious loss of time and effort in any process with any software application.  Did you check for autosave files or backups?

As to the crash, I would look first to the drawing that you were actively working in.  There is probably some corruption in the file and it is most likely a layout. I would start with an AUDIT or even just migrate the drawing contents to a new file.

If you would like me to examine your files, please upload them and I am happy to take a look.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report