Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to replace multiple text items with new text in one go?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
10144 Views, 7 Replies

How to replace multiple text items with new text in one go?

I have a set of text items shown in fig 1. The existing text needs to be replaced by new text as shown in Fig 2. Also, the existing tags exist in multiple autocad files.There are close to 200 items that need to be replaced. Is there a way I can replace all the existing text by the new text in one go? Please let me know the fastest way to complete this task! Thanks in advance 🙂 

Fig 1Fig 1Fig 2Fig 2

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> Is there a way I can replace all the existing text by the new text in one go?  <<

in one single opened file .... you can use FIND command.

in multiple CAD dwg's ... you have to found outsource routines or lisps that can be help like this one here . >> Click <<  or   >> Click 1 << 

Regards,

Message 3 of 8
lakshmankumar.satya

Hi,

Is your existing texts are attributes.If so then try to use attout and attin. Hope that helps you.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Are they all configured exactly like that? If so I would complete the task once then select them (graphics and all) <right-click> copy to clipboard (possibly with a basepoint) --> then I'd open all the drawings you need to do this with and simply CTRL+V paste it.

If they occur often in one drawing, I would suggest the find > replace technique in order to do many instances at once, that removes the chance of missing one visually.

If they are not all the same (scrambled and or varied) - you have job security in knowing that you will be doing a lot of text edits because to be honest I don't think there is anything faster than simply clicking on the text and editing it... I mean you could save a bit of typing by using copy / paste for each entry, but you'll be doing a lot of clicking.

An alternative to typing them would be similar to first suggestion, just create the individual text entries one time and paste them into each drawing, delete the old entries and move the new ones in their place. It will remove lots of typing time.

I have thought about creating a LISP or VBA that would take the concept mentioned above and let you click on the text/point/block to be replaced then the new piece of text/point/block and it would basically delete the old text and move the new text into its coordinates.

I have had to complete similar tasks to what you are asking about when the substation electricians remove an old piece of equipment and replace it with a new style piece. Then they have to go through every substation on the system and do the same thing so you end up with a couple hundred drawings to touch.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you for you responses. Appreciate the support! 🙂 

I completed the task by loading a 'batch find' .lsp file. Next, I loaded all the find and replace data in the form of a .txt file, from which AutoCAD read the data and completed the find and replace action in a matter of minutes. 🙂

Message 6 of 8
Llawrence

Hi,

I have 300 drawings in which I need to insert the number '20' inside a number of different text strings. Please could you give me more detail on how to got Autocad to read the txt file to replace the text with. Was it in using the Batch find & replace test lsp from Lee Mac?

Thanks,

Lynda

Message 7 of 8
kristy.d.moir

Were you able to source a .lsp file, or have you created one yourself from scratch?

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
maratovich
in reply to: kristy.d.moir

Maybe this will help you: https://youtu.be/5XS7vnGLjUU https://youtu.be/pN20CG-bNJE
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Software development
Automatic creation layouts and viewport. Batch printing drawings from model.
www.kdmsoft.net

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost