Did you mean: 

How to Recover sv$ (autosave) files

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ashmandin
67040 Views, 8 Replies

How to Recover sv$ (autosave) files

I have found the unsaved drawing as my autocad suddenly jammed.

and it shows that it was in sv$ 

I tried to rename the file by adding .sv$ on the back and tried to open with autocad....but i cant..

If there are another way to open this file? or maybe my steps were wrong?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
imadHabash
in reply to: ashmandin

Hi and Welcome to AutoDesk Forum,

i'll talk here about how to make sure that the renaming procedure is correct. Now if your windows dialog didn't show the extension .sv$ for the file.then you have to make sure that your systm show the extensions. follow attached images

125.png     frg.png

this is to make sure that when we're do renaming for files didn't appear like this  >>>>>    Test.sv$.dwg

Good Luck..

Message 3 of 9
RobDraw
in reply to: ashmandin

On what file are you trying to change the file extension?

The autosave files are usually found in C:\Temp and the file extension needs to be changed to .dwg.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 9
LyleHardin
in reply to: RobDraw

Not necessarily C:\Temp, but in the Windows Temp folder.

I you type %temp% into the Windows Explorer address bar, it will take you to the Windows Temp folder.

To be sure, open AutoCAD > Options > Support Files tab and look to see what the Autosave folder is set to.

In that folder you can find the *.sv$ files (if you have extensions turned on as shown above) and replace the sv$ with dwg.

Generally, look for .sv$ or .bak files with the same name as the drawing file + some numbers.

Sorting by Date helps to bring those files to the top if they are recent files.

Of course, you need to have your Autosave in AutoCAD turned on. Many people turn it off.

Be aware, sometimes the Drawing Recovery palette will not always pop up after a crash and you may be able to find files that are not listed in the Drawing Recovery palette.

Message 5 of 9
RobDraw
in reply to: LyleHardin

As far as I know, C:\Temp is the default, but, as you said, it is easily changed.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the info. For those coming in who are using newer versions of Windows, it may be puzzling to NOT find the usual "File, Edit, View, Tools, Help" menus at the top, as they are now hidden by default. Pressing the Alt key should temporarily bring them back out. Thanks again!

Message 7 of 9
akguptagis
in reply to: RobDraw

Any recovery software which recover autocad autosave .sv$ files deleted automatically by autocad normal close, but user mistakenly say no save to file when close.

@RobDrawwrote:

On what file are you trying to change the file extension?

The autosave files are usually found in C:\Temp and the file extension needs to be changed to .dwg.

Message 8 of 9

My autosave was in C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp. And changing .sv$ to .dwg worked! Thanks for the question)

Message 9 of 9
steph.heldan
in reply to: LyleHardin

You saved myself from having to redraw everything after my computer crashed and I had forgotten to save for the last 30min AND my .sv$ file wasnt opening. THANK YOU 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost