Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to PERMANENTLY AND FOREVER turn off the Navigation Bar and View Cube

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
Anonymous
9516 Views, 33 Replies

how to PERMANENTLY AND FOREVER turn off the Navigation Bar and View Cube

How do I PERMANENTLY AND FOREVER turn off the View Cube and Navigation bar?  They keep popping up even though I've turned them both off every which way I can.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
nycQE6KE
in reply to: Anonymous

The view cube setting is saved with the file. If it's on when the file is saved, it will be on when the file is opened and vise versa. If you create a template file (.dwt) with the view cube turned off, any it will be turned off in any new drawing (.dwg) file based on that template. You can create a new drawing using any template, turn off the view cube, save the file as a template file (.dwt) and base your new drawing on that new template when you use File>New. 

Message 22 of 34
pendean

@marcel.vandenoosterkamp wrote:

When opening a 3rd party drawing the navvbar/cube whatever it's called is there in every viewport I activate in paperspace. 10+ yeras down the road after this was asked first and still no solution....

LISP, using this command and setting

pendean_0-1713272663878.png

pendean_0-1713274973171.png

Or you can use SYSVARMONITOR for a built-in variable tracker to toggle off when you see it present if LISP is not an option (not NAVBAR as it is a command)

pendean_1-1713272871809.png

Message 23 of 34
pendean
in reply to: pendean

Message 24 of 34

Both

(command "navbardisplay" "0")

and

(command "navvcubedisplay" "0")

are in my startup lisp. It works like a charm but I have to activate every viewport and reload my startup lisp in order to make them disappear in the viewports. This is the case with dwg's that were setup by others.

And of course I try to avoid working on dwg's from others but I cannot always dodge that 😉

Message 25 of 34
MSchille-1994

I implemented startup scripts that run and in there I have all kinds of system variables.  A couple of those shut these off permanently.

Attitude, not Aptitude, Determines Altitude
Message 26 of 34
netaoren

OPTIONS > 3D MODELING > DISPLAY TOOLS IN VIEWPORT > take off the V mark on "2D wireframe visual style" on the view cube section.

Message 27 of 34

@marcel.vandenoosterkamp wrote:

Both

(command "navbardisplay" "0")

and

(command "navvcubedisplay" "0")

are in my startup lisp. It works like a charm but I have to activate every viewport and reload my startup lisp in order to make them disappear in the viewports....

You need more LISP and possibly getting into reactors too, and give up stock tools that do not address your needs.

Remember, if you don't find the core commands and functions useful you need to fully customize: startup LISP only address startups after all.

Message 28 of 34
vandenoosterkamp

Well, I simply do not get it that in a dwg in which those sysvars are set to not show the navcube it shows the navcube after creating a new viewport. I just type ap (for appload), hit the spacebar, select my lisp, click load and click close and the navcube is gone. It's just one more of zillions actions I need to do because the program is build the way it is.

The biggest challenge is to just be cool with the fact that you function at ~25% due to the flaws of autodesk.

Message 29 of 34
davinatkins

I have found that this issue is fixed when I create a custom workspace. Turn off the viewcube and navigation bar however you'd like to do it (I use two buttons in the View Tab). Also, probably do other changes that you want to do. I have a YouTube Video on other changes you might want to try.

Now, this only technically works for Model Space - hooray! To change it in all of your new viewports you need to go to the Options Menu. In the 3D modelling tab, there is an option to turn off the VC in several visual styles. I find it useful to only turn off in the 2D wireframe style, but you do you!

davinatkins_1-1720636535476.png

Anyhoo, after that go to the gear icon in the Status Bar - lower left corner - and choose Save Current As. I recommend naming it after yourself so you can look like a narcissist, as you see in the picture.

davinatkins_0-1720636042636.png

Once that's done, click the gear once more to make sure that your new workspace is the active one. It should have a check mark next to - like you DON'T see in the picture. Now, anytime AutoCAD gets dumb and "forgets" that you like your interface a certain way, you can click the gear, choose your custom workspace again, and show it who's boss.

Message 30 of 34
MSchille-1994

If you really want to forever and permanently turn it off, read my post earlier in this thread.  I have not dealt with it in 4 years now.

Message 31 of 34
cadffm

But there is no variable to avoid this bhavior/problem!?

Sebastian

Message 32 of 34
MSchille-1994

There is, see screenshot below. 

The problem is, if your software ever crashes, sometimes system variables get messed up, and this specific one has happened to me before where it switches back to it's default.  Also, once you reload software for whatever reason, or load the next version, you have to switch it to be off again.  With a startup script, you can program it so this will never, ever, return again since the script gets loaded into every software version you install via the acaddoc.lsp.  In my acaddoc.lsp (which gets copied into the c:\<username>\appdata\roaming\autodesk\<civil 3d version>\enu\support folder) at the very bottom of the file is a line which loads a user.lsp file that I have on my own user drive on the network.  In that user.lsp I have probably 35 system variables set how I want them, navcube being one of them.  So as long as I have my acaddoc.lsp and my user.lsp files, I never have to worry about this.

There is a great AU write up on this that you can search for that explains how to build all this.  Someone put on a session about it years back.

MSchille1994_0-1720649925696.png

Message 33 of 34
cadffm
in reply to: MSchille-1994

Doublepost, deleted

Sebastian

Message 34 of 34
cadffm
in reply to: MSchille-1994

When I am back at Acad(Vacation), I will test it again, but if I remember well

This setting

a) is saved in each viewport, not just in the current when you open a file 

and

b) it has nothing to do with the default value for new viewports from scratch.

If you're right and I am not: Thank you for clarifying.

(I am talking about plain Acad, can't imagine that C3D working different)

Sebastian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report