Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to draw a circle in oblique pictorial (45 degrees)

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
Anonymous
16825 Views, 32 Replies

How to draw a circle in oblique pictorial (45 degrees)

Hi, my assignment was to draw the projections below in oblique pictorial (45 degrees) but i am struggling on how to draw the circle.

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 5.18.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 5.19.05 PM.png

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to draw the far right cirlce in Autocad. In isometric drawing (30 degrees) i can use Isodrafting and i will be able to draw on the left, top and right plane but it does not work for oblique pictorial. Any ideas?

The picture below is what i have so far

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 5.39.20 PM.png

for further clarifications please ask and i've also attached the .dwg file incase you wana have a crack at it. Thanks. 

Labels (1)
32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
leeminardi
in reply to: Anonymous

There are two types of oblique projections.  One assumes that the measurements in the depth direction (45° in your problem) are measured at the same scale as the horizontal and vertical directions.  The second type assumes a foreshortening in the depth direction.  A value of 50% is often used.  This projection is called a cabinet projection.

The circle lying on the top plane is a true ellipse in the full oblique projection. It has a major and minor axis as noted in the image below. The angle of rotation for the ellipse (relative to the major axis) is 22.5°. This is the angle of the diagonal.  AutoCAD's ellipse command  does not have an option to construct an ellipse via conjugate axis points. These points use the base circle radius and would not require knowing major and minor axes values.

The circle representation in the cabinet projection is a bit more complex. In effect, the ellipse from the full oblique projection needs to be scale by 1/2 in a 45°direction while not scaling in the horizontal direction.  One way to create this curve is by using the Control Vertex method of making a spline. I used 4 CVs to define each quadrant of the "ellipse".

image.png

The following image shows the 4 CVs used to create the 4 splines.  The 2 intermediate CVs are located at the midpoints of the bounding parallelogram.

image.png

The "faking" referenced in earlier posts is a part of all drawings since they are an attempt to represent in 2D a real 3D object. The drawings are not the object but a representation.  A photograph is a fake.  It is not the real object. 

As noted earlier, a CAD assignment to generate an oblique projection is not recommended. It is an interesting academic exercise but of little value in learning CAD.   

lee.minardi
Message 22 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Thank you so much. your video was really helpful. i appreciate it.

Message 23 of 33
j.palmeL29YX

>>This video<< shows another way to draw an obliqued circle. The result is an exact ellipse (not an approximated spline).

(To full define an ellipse we need 5 points at its circumference. So we can use the power of parametric to assign any given ellipse to this constructed points).

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 24 of 33
SEANT61

More a matter of curiosity than an endorsement of oblique projection:  Can an oblique circle be made as more than just an approximation? Here is the same technique as I demonstrated in the link provided by @Kent1Cooper 

A degree 2 spline with a weighted middle Control Vertex can represent a circular arc in non-orthographic projections (perspective projection notwithstanding). Oblique projection arcs can be represented with complete fidelity.

This screencast shows that the oblique drawing can make some predictions, at least, that relate back to the Plan/Elevation drawing.

May your cursor always snap to the location intended.
Message 25 of 33
SEANT61
in reply to: SEANT61

Screencast.

Message 26 of 33
SEANT61

Tough screencast/message board linkup this morning.

Message 27 of 33
leeminardi

@SEANT61 , a very impressive solution and creative technique!

lee.minardi
Message 28 of 33
R_Tweed

This was an interesting assignment and I'm glad you brought it to the forum. I tried the solution @SEANT61 has provided and it fit right in to what I had done in a much easier way.  Given a more complex or what would seem as a simple shape you could use the same method to easily create the desired arcs, curves circles etc..

Screenshot 2020-10-13 091703.png

Message 29 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: leeminardi

I couldn't agree more with your last statement.

Message 30 of 33
SEANT61

Thanks for the ‘likes’ guys.  

Despite the surprising performance of splines in this particular scenario, I'd still recommend drafting in 3d and using standard Orthographic and, perhaps, Isometric PaperSpace windows for the best level of graphic communication. 

Message 31 of 33
Cervenka

You can use the Scale command to convert to the desired dimension in mm or to fit in inches.

Message 32 of 33
RobDraw
in reply to: Cervenka

@Cervenka wrote:

You can use the Scale command to convert to the desired dimension in mm or to fit in inches.

It looks like you are replying to a different question.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 33 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Correct me if i'm incorrect, but wouldn't that create an isometric rather than a cabinet oblique?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report