Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect multiple lines making a single continuous path?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ezequielleonzybert
437 Views, 4 Replies

How to connect multiple lines making a single continuous path?

Hello. I'm working with a CNC machine so I need the paths to be continuous. they should start and end covering all the lines when it's possible.
for example:
Untitled.png
if I explode these lines and then pedit>join them, the one in the middle will be left isolated. But if I draw the path manually I can make it all a single continuous path.
Is there a way to join the lines to make them connected the same way as if they were drawn manually in a single continuos path?
Thanks

Labels (6)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

There are commands and plugins for finding closed contours. But your task is not standard since this figure does not describe any flat part. As a rule, internal contours describe certain dadoes, grooves or windows in parts and should be leading polylines on another layer, different from the outer contour. Therefore, I am not sure that anyone has solved this useless problem.

Plugins for AutoCAD
A>V>C>
AppStore | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Blog
Message 3 of 5

For me [in Acad2024], either of these approaches does what you want with Lines in your example arrangement:

PEDIT / Multiple option / {select them all} / Join / {Enter for 0 fuzz} / {Enter to conclude}; or

PEDIT / Select the middle Line / Join / Select the rest / {Enter to conclude}.

[Depending on your PEDITACCEPT System Variable setting, there may be a convert-to-Polylines question to answer.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 5

If this must be done using plines then the following would work (from a CNC programming perspective)

For your first pline, begin at the base of the left triangle and work clockwise towards, up, then down the hypotenuse.

For the second pline, begin at the center of the bases of the two triangles where the right angles meet, again, working in a clockwise direction towards the left hypotenuse, up, then down the right hypotenuse closing where you began.

This could also be done using some fairly simple G code 

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/getting-started-with-g-code/

Message 5 of 5

If you want one continuous polyline path, consider shortening a couple of lines to what would equate to slightly less than half of the cutter's gap and start just about the midpoint of the base line as shown below...

Washingtonn_0-1699886995712.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report