Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I add hatch patterns to AutoCAD 2017 or AutoCAD LT 2017?

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
john.vellek
79126 Views, 38 Replies

How can I add hatch patterns to AutoCAD 2017 or AutoCAD LT 2017?

I have some hatch patterns from a manufacturer. How can I add them into AutoCAD?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Tags (1)
38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
john.vellek
in reply to: john.vellek

Adding hatch patterns is really easy in AutoCAD 2017.

Here are the requirements for a hatch pattern:

• Each hatch pattern should be in its own file
  • The PAT file name has to exactly match the name of the pattern
  • The end of the pattern file must be a blank line.

Hatch pattern location and settings

• Put all your “custom” hatch patterns in a folder.
  • Open Options in AutoCAD and select the Files tab
  • Select the Support Search path and add your custom folder to the list.
  • Open the Trusted Folders path and add your custom folder to the list.

Now you should be able to find and use your custom hatch patterns in AutoCAD!

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 3 of 39
Anonymous

Hey John,

I'd like to think I'm a pretty competent guy, and I can follow your instructions pretty easily, but I still cannot find/use/see the hatch patterns I've created in my new folder. I don't even have an error saying there is something wrong with the pattern. I'm using 2017, and have no idea what I might be missing. Is there some other setting that I need to be aware of somewhere else within Autocad?

On another note, I cannot find a "pattern" file/directory/folder anywhere in my 2017 software. I've just come over from an older version and there were clearly pattern folders where I put all of my custom/imported .pat files. I have found nothing like this in any of my Autocad folders on my computer. Am I going crazy???

Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

NEVERMIND. I figured it out! There was a typo in the file name vs. the name within the .pat.

Message 5 of 39
Anonymous

Great, it worked, thanks, I appreciate it.very much John.

Message 6 of 39
polytsak

I followed the instructions as demonstrated but now all the standard autocad patterns are gone. I've searched for files with the extention .pat but I only find the custom file I made.

Message 7 of 39
john.vellek
in reply to: polytsak

Hi @polytsak,

I am guessing that rather than just adding your folder to the paths, that you actually replaced the default one.

You can perform a Reset Settings to Default to get thing back to normal and then you can add your custom pattern again.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 39
Anonymous

I have all the hatches installed and I can see them in the palettes  but when I try to drag them to use them but it does not let me use them, but I can see them.

can you please help me?

thanks,

Rocio 

Message 9 of 39
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Let me make sure that I understand your issue.

You have some hatch patterns that you have added to your AutoCAD installation.

When you start the Hatch command, you see the patterns are available for selection.

When you select the area to hatch with one of the selected patterns, what happens? Do you get an error? does nothing happen? If you change the scale of the pattern does it then show up?

Is it possible to share your PAT file and a sample drawing so I can try them on my computer?

John Vellek

Message 10 of 39
Anonymous

[image: Inline image 1]

[image: Inline image 2]

Thank you very much for your quick reply, please find below the path, I
also added the print screen showing that we have the hatches that are
needed but I cannot access it, we have a few computers that are set the
same way but they work fine when you drag the hatches.

Thanks,

Rocio
Message 11 of 39
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Unfortunately, I do not see the images you tried to attach. Can you try again and also attach your PAT file so I can try it on my computer?

John Vellek

Message 12 of 39
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

I haven't seen an additional post with your files but I am still here and happy to help!

John Vellek

Message 13 of 39
hillspower

Dear Sir,

I tried to add hach patterns into my AutoCAD 16. I went in another computer with AutoCAD 14, copied the .PAT files from there and copied as 

C\Autodesk\AutoCAD PAT Files  (AutoCAD PAT Files is the folder in which PAT Files are stored). I performed the operationd directed by you in your Forum but when tried to click Hatch icon it does not show any patter.as it Shows in the other computer with AutoCAD 14.

Kindly help.

Rakesh Sharma

Message 14 of 39

Hi,

Please start command _OPTIONS ==> tab "Files" and make sure that your path (C\Autodesk\AutoCAD PAT Files) is added to the list of support files ("Support File Search Path").

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 15 of 39
hillspower
in reply to: hillspower

Please see below that I have done exactly the same as your advice viz add
the C\Autodesk\AutoCAD PAT Files Folder into the Support File Search Path as
well as Trusted Locations.

But when I try to select the patterns it does not show any pattern other
than one which was preexisting as shown below.

The contents of the PAT file are as below.

I will be obliged if you kindly resolve this issue.

Best Regards

Rakesh Sharma (BE Elect. CP Eng. RPEQ)

Director

HILLS POWER PROJECTS PTY LIMITED

Mailing Address: PO Box 596 Kellyville NSW 2155, Australia

Office & Works: 7 Sanctuary Drive, Beaumont Hills, NSW 2155, Australia

Phone/Fax: +612 8824 5293. Mobile. +61 (0) 404 978 992,

E-mail: hillspower@gmail.com

Message 16 of 39
john.vellek

Hi Rakesh, I do not see any images in your last post. However, I am interested to see if you can attach the PAT file to a post so I can verify that it is good condition.

Please also give me the exact path where you have placed the PAT file and if you have included the same path exactly into your Support File Search Path.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 39
hillspower

Please see the PAT files
Message 18 of 39
Kent1Cooper

[If you are attaching something to an e-mail reply to an e-mail notification of a Reply to your message, especially if on a mobile device, that is notorious around here for not (or at least not always) working.  Get to a "real" computer and a web browser of some kind, go into the website, and reply and attach there.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 19 of 39
john.vellek

Hi @hillspower,

If you are still having this issue, please try attaching your PAT file again. I look forward to getting this resolved for you.

John Vellek

Message 20 of 39
sososimps

All of a sudden, my custom hatches have unloaded from AutocadLT Mac 2017 - when I was using cad last week they were there, but this week they aren't.

I've gone into my .pat files and added my hatches to the 'user defined' section at the end, but they're still not showing up in AutoCAD.  

Not sure what I'm doing wrong - that's how they've always loaded in the past, and I didn't do anything to unload them.  I've tried reselecting the source folder in Preferences, I've tried 'Add Pattern', I've tried quitting and re-opening AutoCAD, but nothing seems to work.  

Any tips gratefully received.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost