Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hatch Command Automatically Creates an Unwanted Layer

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
ronaldr
904 Views, 10 Replies

Hatch Command Automatically Creates an Unwanted Layer

I use very strict layer management in my drafting. Just lately, whenever I invoke the hatch command an unwanted layer is created. This layer does not fit my management system and I find it a bit annoying that this is happening.

Is it possible to turn this feature off? I would prefer that hatched entities are simply created on the current layer.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
FeeopEngr
in reply to: ronaldr

Is the Hatch Layer Override set to Use Current?

Feeop
Message 3 of 11
user181

My guess is that you have a layer assigned to the variable HPLAYER.  You can set it to . to use the current layer. Is this in every drawing? Maybe it is assigned in your template drawing or you have a lisp routine that runs at startup that sets this variable.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
ronaldr
in reply to: user181

Thanks for that.

Actually I did manage to find the switch. It is under properties in the hatch command panel. There is a little arrow in the properties panel. Clicking it reveals the ONE property that's in there which is what default layer the hatch will be placed on. I set it to current and the problem was solved.

I'm not sure how I managed to accidently set it to some strange random layer in the first place though.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. It was much appreciated.

Message 5 of 11
korhan

Hi,

it still does for me. i knew all those, and it changes itself, without me changing the assigned layer.

all i can think of is that either it gets data from another file where i copy-paste stuff and thinks itself that is the default or it tries to make sense of different layers of hatches and makes assumption each time you start the file to draw.

Message 6 of 11
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: korhan

@korhan wrote:

.... or it tries to make sense of different layers of hatches and makes assumption each time you start the file to draw.

Probably that.  [I don't think copy/pasting could cause it -- it would bring in the Layer if what you paste is on it, but it couldn't affect the Layer used for new Hatching.]  Do you have an acaddoc.lsp file, or some other automatically-run thing such as in APPLOAD's Startup Suite or a .mnl file, that contains a setting for the HPLAYER System Variable?  I find that HPLAYER can be set to a Layer that does not exist in the drawing, but if you do any Hatching, it will be created in the process.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 11
korhan
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thanks for that, Kent.

None of them, and it is not creating a non-existent one. Some layer that is in the drawing, in one of the blocks hidden.

Message 8 of 11
TomBeauford

HPLAYER (System Variable) https://help.autodesk.com/view/ACD/2025/ENU/?guid=GUID-8B64F625-7DD2-4264-8E59-3936F0992070
Specifies a default layer for new hatches and fills in the current drawing.

As it's Saved in each Drawing you need to set it in every Drawing or template Drawing to prevent it from happening again.
Initial value: use current

This control is available from the Hatch Editor contextual tab, Properties drop-down panel.

64bit AutoCAD Map & Civil 3D 2023
Architecture Engineering & Construction Collection
Windows 10 Dell i7-12850HX 2.1 Ghz 12GB NVIDIA RTX A3000 12GB Graphics Adapter
Message 9 of 11
korhan
in reply to: TomBeauford

Thanks Tom,
i know that too.
i am saying, even though i did set them before, the next time i open the file to work, there is a probability that it changes that default without me fiddling.
Message 10 of 11
pendean

@korhan wrote:
... there is a probability that it changes that default without me fiddling.

You either have  startup or add-in or 3rd party tool doing that for you, or someone else touching your files is changing things without realizing it: the majority of users do not have this issue so it's going to be hard for anyone over here to help you find your local culprit.

Start digging, and if needed, why not just create your our startup and/or reactor to always set this and any other variable to hat you want, or set up then use SYSVARMONITOR command with this variable (and any others) added to it's watchlist. There are so many active user ways to resolve local variable changing issues out there, let us know which you are most comfortable using.

Message 11 of 11
korhan

Thanks Pendean.

I will check that (if I am skillful enough to be seen, and time).

You might have a point about startup. Nobody else has access to files. So, that leaves with your inital suggestions.

If I manage something I'll post to let anyone see.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta