Did you mean: 

Google Map to AutoCAD

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
61270 Views, 7 Replies

Google Map to AutoCAD

Hello, I need to create a scaled site plan as shown below in Autocad 2013 using Google Map. Can somebody explain how to proceed ?

Thanks in advance.

bm_after.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
wispoxy
in reply to: Anonymous

Giving you all I got Cat Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a similiar thread:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-lt-general-discussion/is-there-any-way-to-import-a-google-eart...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Comment:

in google you can use a "measure" tool to get distance between 2 points. Use this distance to scale the image in your drawing, so it's true scale inmodelspace. In paperspace, scale viewport in the usual manner, say 1"=1 mile (1 : 5280 if PS is inches & MS is feet)

Using the Measure Distance Tool to Scale off of Google Maps

Google Map

Google has some pretty cool tools that are available for the CAD operator. With the advent of Google Maps and Google Earth, its even possible to scale drawings onto CAD. Today I’m going to show you a quick and dirty way of doing such a task.

Google Earth Setting

First of all, once you find the address of your desired site on Google Maps, go ahead and change the settings to “Google Earth” Mode.

Tracing the Building

From here, most would simply take a screen shot and do their best to trace the site and perhaps the outline of the building. The problem is obvious; there’s no real way to accurately find the real length of the building from just the Google Map.

measure distance

Just recently, Google integrated a measurement tool that allows us to do just that. All you need to do is right click on an area of the map and click “measure distance.”

Scale Building

All you need to do from here is click on two points for the map to scale off a distance. In this case, the south exterior wall of Portland City Hall is approximately 120′.

Cad Scaling

With this knowledge, you can go back into CAD and draw a construction line that’s 120′ long.

image scaled in cad

Now, since you have a relation between the google image and a hard length in CAD, all that’s left is to run the “align” command and scale both the original line and the imported image to real world dimensions. Now you can do a trace with real world lengths and without 90% of the guesswork!

Obviously, this is a very quick and dirty method. And this Map Scaling is relatively useless if you’re going to try to do any construction or as-builting from Google Maps. However landscape designers can use this tool to get a rough estimate of how much material they will need on a site. Civil designers can use this tool to get a rough estimate on pervious vs impervious area to do storm water calculations or even cut/fill calculations. If you only need to draw something with a degree of accuracy of within a few feet, this “measure distance” function will get you a quick idea of what you’re up against with a minimum of time.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Message 4 of 8
wispoxy

Your post was blank
Message 5 of 8
bham4ever

Or you can got to Apps and purchase Plex.Earth 3

http://www.plexearth.com/

It's around 200 bucks a year and you can import either Google or Bing images.

Also topography from either map.

I love this app for Civil preliminary design work.

I think you can try it for free to see if you like it.

Wll worth the money in my book.

"Never say Never"
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: wispoxy

Sorry for late reply. But, thanks that was what I needed. Kudos

Message 7 of 8
wispoxy

Glad I was able to answer your question.
Message 8 of 8
sakar_deepak
in reply to: wispoxy

Hi dear @wispoxy

what is the accuracy level of 'measure distance' of Google earth ?

Thanks

Regards

Deepak Gupta
Architect

(...... those, who are answering the problems in community forum here, are great people .....)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report