Filter by blockrotation has not the right angle

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
thomas_schlüssi
116 Views, 3 Replies

Filter by blockrotation has not the right angle

Hey guys!

I found a strange behavior of the filter command when I want to filter by block rotation.

The following situation:
In a drawing, a block exists several times, but with different block rotations (0, 90, 180, 270 degrees).
I want to use the filter command to mark only the blocks that have 90 degrees.
If I enter 90 degrees under block rotation in the filter, however, no blocks are marked.

When I use the "add selected object" function of the filter command, "1.570800" is inserted ​​under block rotation.

Why is that? The block also has a value of 90 degrees in its properties.

It's not the biggest problem because I can use "add selected object", but I don't understand how it happens and it's annoying to select a block every time.

Has anyone else noticed this strange behavior and is there an explanation for it?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
tramber
in reply to: thomas_schlüssi

The explanation is easy to me, reading you, being a user of FILTER : in the core of the dwg, all is in radians. 1.570800 is the half of PI (3.14), i.e. 90°.

FILTER create some lisp code in the filter.nfl file, have a look if you are curious to know how it is done if you recoreded some named filters

In filter, you need to specify radians ? The answer appears to be YES.

Message 3 of 4
thomas_schlüssi
in reply to: tramber

OK, that's an explanation.

Very strange and impractical that you can't just enter the angles in degrees.
With qselect you can just enter degrees, which seems more logical 🤷‍

Message 4 of 4
tramber
in reply to: thomas_schlüssi

It is the explanation : FILTER is made for engineers 😃 and QSELECT for ordinary people (I make jokes but not very confident, as English is not my native language at all !)....

(I am engineer and a lisper...)

FILTER is an older command than Qselect, according to me. It is powerfull but it speaks "code" not conventional degrees... In pure Maths, we use radians, I know it from my studies...

Degrees were just made in 360° for it to be dividable by many numbers...

2xPi was made to make it easy to calculate the angle by the radius.

because of 2piR !

ang (in radians) x radius = arc length

This is the reason of that use.

I had a look to see what to enter in the angle field such as some lisp and to tell you but it doesn't work, off course.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report