Did you mean: 

File Path Display on Screen

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
33999 Views, 15 Replies

File Path Display on Screen

I sometimes have a white box on my screen, that is not part of the drawing (ie not t text box), that references a file that is not open at the moment.  It hovers over my layout and I have to pan in my drawing to see.  It doesn't seem to happen in all drawings but the file it is referencing isn't associated with the same project so should have no reference to it.

Any ideas?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Would you show us the case please?

Message 3 of 16
tmccar

Is it pointing to an XREF that is not available?
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

In the XREF MANAGER, are any drawings not found?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

I don't understand your question. Are you looking for a screen shot? It has gone away, as it sometimes does, but is sure to come back.

It is similar to the box that appears when you hover over the tabs of open drawings at the top. It shows that drawing's path and file name but that one disappears when you move your mouse away. For some reason, I sometimes get one in the middle of my screen that stays. When I begin to type a command, it goes, then comes back.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: tmccar

The latest file does not have any xrefs and the only xrefs are usually my border logos.

It is similar to the box that appears when you hover over the tabs of open drawings at the top. It shows that drawing's path and file name but that one disappears when you move your mouse away. For some reason, I sometimes get one in the middle of my screen that stays. When I begin to type a command, it goes, then comes back.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

Sounds like a display issue.  Do you have the latest video driver?

You can check if your driver is the latest 'certified' driver with the below link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

I am having the same issue.

The persistent path even shows up in front of other application windows.

When I try to open xref manager, it says '** EXTERNAL REFENCES command not allowed during reference editing **

I am not in any refedit command. I was editing a block in-place shortly before this happened though.

This happens to my co-worker fairly often.

Ben

AutoCAD 2016 M.49.0.0 

Windows 7 SP1 64 bit

path 1.jpg

path 2.jpg

Message 9 of 16
pendean

Close and restart AutoCAD, does your problem go away?
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Yes, it does. I'm wondering why it happens and what the difference would be between my workflow and my co-worker's. Or maybe it's a hardware difference, I don't know.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
The latest file does not have any xrefs and the only xrefs are usually my border logos.

Try toggling your hardware acceleration.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Message 13 of 16
laura_studiobondy_com

Try turning off the Start screen.

STARTMODE 0

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: laura_studiobondy_com

THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM!

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: laura_studiobondy_com

This fixed the problem for me!
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

The solutions is here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/File-n...

Startmode - 0

It solved this problem in my Autocad 2016.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report