Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File locks and renaming folders - Windows or Autocad?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2417 Views, 9 Replies

File locks and renaming folders - Windows or Autocad?

This may not be strictly an Autocad problem, but may be a Windows problem.  I currently run Win 10, but this problem dates way back.  Frequently, I cannot rename a folder.  Usually it is because I have a file open in that folder.  Once I close the file, I can rename the folder.  However, with Autocad, even when I close the drawing, Autocad still seems to keep a file lock open on the drawing, so that I can't rename the folder.  I have to close the Autocad program completely to release the lock.

The reason I believe this might be a Windows problem is that sometimes closing Autocad is not enough.  I have to close File Explorer too and restart it before I can rename the folder.

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Turn off PREVIEW in file explorer, the preview make explorer "think" the file s open and once explorer "thinks" that you have to close it to make it "forget".  Sometimes you can turn off preview, then select another directory and go back and its "forgotten" it was open, sometimes that doesn't work either.  I leave preview off.

Message 3 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> The reason I believe this might be a Windows problem

No, this is specific to AutoCAD. It does not release a folder that was used previously as well as USB-sticks which also can't be unlocked as long as AutoCAD runs and has captured it once.

For folders it might help to open a file from a different folder and save it, then sometimes the first folder was releaed from locking, but it's only "sometimes", not always.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Preview pane is off, and I have FExplorer set to show icons only.  Problem still exists.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

To solve this error Lock Folder Windows 10. I follow this tutorial Lock Folder Windows 10. please let me know. Is this right for me? Thanks

Message 6 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> please let me know. Is this right for me? 

Not sure if that is a solution for you as you have not described what you tried and what does not work.

From the OP >>>post 3<<< in this thread here was the solution.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 10
BillPeery

The so called solution posted here, i.e. to turn off Preview in File Explorer, does not work for me.

This is yet another example of laziness or incompetence by Autodesk. This bug has been around for decades, but as usual Autodesk never fixes it.

A couple of workarounds that work for me are:

1) Copy the file you cannot rename; 2) Then, strange but true, you can delete the original file even though you cannot rename it, then 3) rename the copy without having to completely close and restart Autocad just to rename a file. 

OR if that doesn't work...

Try this one:

==> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-delete-locked-files-windows-10#:~:text=Type%20the%20name%20of%20t....

Message 8 of 10
pendean
in reply to: BillPeery

@BillPeery We've never had this issue in 25+years of AutoCAD in WindowsOS with files on a WinServer in our offices across all of our users.

Perhaps this remains more of an IT issue? your workaround seems to indicate something OS based.
Message 9 of 10

I wish Autodesk would look into this, I cannot delete an empty folder where I've worked on AutoCAD 2015 files until I restart my PC. 

Message 10 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Rockit_for_Revit

@Rockit_for_Revit wrote:

I wish Autodesk would look into this, I cannot delete an empty folder where I've worked on AutoCAD 2015 files until I restart my PC. 

1) AutoCAD2015 is dead to Autodesk, they aren't going to fix an old program they don't want anyone to use today in the year 2024.

2) That may be an IT issue as well, do you have an experience IT person to help guide you? If not, try a reputable computer shop in your area instead.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report