Did you mean: 

File in use warning not shown

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
581 Views, 6 Replies

File in use warning not shown

Two users are reporting that sometimes one can open a DWG file that is already open on the other user's pc, and save it, without any warning. This has led to loss of data in the past. The user that had the file open is using Autocad 2016, and the user that opened it in the meantime is using Autocad 2014. Both are opening the file through a Windows share on a Windows Server 2012 in the local network.

Any idea why this might be happening?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Your server OS is in charge of tagging files as open by others: AutoCAD (and other applications) simply report the finding when it's there.

R2014/2016 and WinServer2012 are not new: so about what day did this suddenly change? What is new with everyone's setup or server since that day?
Message 3 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

I am sorry that your users have overwritten files and lost some work.  Dean is correct that file locking is not controlled by AutoCAD.  Here is an article that provides a bit more information.

I have seen this in the past when system clocks are not synchronized, when there is a DFS in place, and also when a  user thinks they are opening a file from the same location but is actually opening a different file.

Are any of these a possibility? How are your clocks being set (NET TIME)?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am checking back to see if my post or Dean's helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.
Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thank you both for your suggestions.

We did find significant time differences between the server and the clients, and we fixed that. We're confident that may have been part of the problem but since it wasn't reproducible, we can't be sure, so we're going to wait and see if another issue pops up.

I'll make sure to accept the answer then. No such issue has popped up so far.

Message 6 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I am glad that this might have been an easy fix.  This should also help in working on your network with other applications as well.

I assume that you are now pushing the time to network clients from the server and that the server is configured to get its time from a known external source.

If not, and you need some help, let me know and I can point you to some additional resources.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 7 of 7
rob_simmons
in reply to: pendean

Same issue here, simple reboot of our 2012 server did the trick.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report