17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
f_e_ouellette
2757 Views, 17 Replies

FBX Import Removed ???

Hi,

Any idea why FBX Import was removed?   

That was super useful for grabbing pieces of an existing Navisworks file ... bring it in as a mesh, convert to solid, edit as needed.

It worked really well.

Thanks

Fernand

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
pendean
in reply to: f_e_ouellette

Why? no one knows, we are all end users just like you.
You need AutoCAD 2018 or older for the task today.

Message 3 of 18
john.vellek

Hi @f_e_ouellette,

I agree that it was quite useful. I encourage you to contact the team to let them know that you miss it.

Please use the Product Feedback page.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 18
f_e_ouellette
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks John..  

I assume it is somehow related to selling more software 🙂    But I'll leave some feedback on the off chance they get enough requests they change their mind

Message 5 of 18
john.vellek

Hi @f_e_ouellette,

I doubt it has anything to do with sales but more likely by how much it is used vs it supportability. 

At any rate, I appreciate the feedback and I hope that the team can reverse the decision as I know many customers have voiced that they would like to see the feature return.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 18
DarrenP
in reply to: john.vellek

they brought back the function for 2019: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/FBXIMP...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 7 of 18
f_e_ouellette
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks!

Message 8 of 18
brad.nz

@DarrenP wrote:

they brought back the function for 2019: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/FBXIMP...

That link no longer works and I can't seem to find it! Any ideas. TIA.

Message 9 of 18
DarrenP
in reply to: brad.nz

they have removed the download for the add in

new link: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/fbximp...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 10 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> new link: [...]

Does not show a plugin download.

What did I miss?

3DS-Max is not a valid alternative as

• you need to buy an additional product to get a function back you already had in AutoCAD itself
  • running plugins in AutoCAD that needed that function (e.g. to get symbols like traffic-signs exported to Infraworks) are killed without that function

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 18
dgorsman
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Not always an extra purchase - 3DSMAX should be included in most of the Collections.  But yeah, it's needed for a number of tasks.

Maybe a third party could make this as a plug in?  If it's that useful it could be profitable. 

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 12 of 18

"you need to buy an additional product to get a function back you already had in AutoCAD itself"

BINGO...that's the motivation.  It has to be.  To sell more software

Message 13 of 18

Fernand,

If you have access to Navisworks Simulate 2019 or later, below is a link to a Navisworks app that allows you to import objects directly from Navisworks to AutoCAD in real time. It makes referencing objects in a Federated model relatively easy.

While it is currently not optimized for large exports (either a lot of objects, or very complicated object geometry), it will work. There are plans to add the ability to export a file out of Navisworks to disc, then import  into AutoCAD in a future release which should hopefully make it more efficient for very large imports.

I hope this helps.

Navis to Acad

Tags (2)
Message 14 of 18

Hi,

>> a link to a Navisworks app that allows you to import

>> objects directly from Navisworks to AutoCAD

May I ask what this app has to do with the missing FBX-Import/-Export?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 15 of 18

Alfred,

I know I answered this in your personal post but I will go ahead and answer it here as well...

To give you some perspective on why it has replace FBX import/export for me, I am a tradesperson who does BIM VDC work fulltime for a contractor. I work primarily out of Navisworks (for coordination with other trades) and AutoCAD. We would regularly use FBX export from Navisworks in order scavenging design model valves/components/equipment/vessels/steel or any other model content that we were not provided in DWG form and import them into AutoCAD. I am not sure of your use of FBX other than to import to Civil 3D from infraworks, but when FBX import capabilities were removed it disrupted our workflow for accessing this geometry from Navisworks to AutoCAD. Could we manage to bring them in by converting the FBX to DWG with 3DS max? Sure, but it was not very streamline and if one did not have the AEC license bundle they would have to purchase additional software.

I hope that I did not offend anyone by posting this here, I just it might help some folks. Will Navis to Acad be beneficial in your personal workflow? Maybe. Could it benefit other folks who are using Navisworks along side AutoCAD who stumble upon this thread? I would bet on it.

Message 16 of 18

Hi,

answered already >>>there<<<

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 17 of 18

Because that is what autodesk do best create, sell and than remove

Message 18 of 18
braudpat

Hello

To import / export / convert 3D Files , I am using often a nice Free Tool named "Meshlab" !

https://www.meshlab.net/#download

The Health, Bye, Patrice

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report