Did you mean: 

fatal error on opening file

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
14391 Views, 8 Replies

fatal error on opening file

I was working on my computer. When I tried to open the file again, I couldn't. And it hasn't let me since that last time. My Autocad is a 2017 version, running on my windows 8, and it doesn't open any of my files. New problem, never had happened before

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you try and restart your computer?
Did you try and use RECOVER command inside AutoCAD to open and fix your file?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I tried restarting the computer. I didn't even got the oportunity to open my file. And it won't open any of my projects.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I don't know if it helps, but if you have a .bak file in the same folder of your original drawing, then you can rename it as .dwg

You should then, be able to open the file.

Delete the old file so not to get confused on which one is the "good" file

Hope it helps.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Note: most probably this will resolve you issue BUT the settings in autocad will be changed i.e. you have to check them before starting to work on a new project. (This applies for a genuine autocad and not a cracked one, if you have a cracked version you will face problems)

1. On the Start menu (Windows), click Settings > Control Panel.
  2. In Control Panel, double-click Programs and Features.
  3. Select the Autodesk product, and then click Uninstall/Change.
  4. When the installer launches, click Repair.
  5. Follow the prompts to repair the product.
Message 6 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

I am sorry to see that you are having problems opening file(s) with AutoCAD.  Does your application open OK? Is it just that the one or two files are broken in some fashion?  Can you try double-clicking the file to open in Windows Explorer? Does that behave differently than if you try to File>Open inside of AutoCAD?

Can you share one of the files so I can verify whether or not it is intact?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi! Well, the thing is that it won't open, not even for a new file or one of my projects. I don't even know why, 'cause at first it was working fine, until I tried to open it again.
Message 8 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous, Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like AutoCAD is not launching at all on your workstation.  Do you receive any error messages?

From your Windows Start button open your Control Panels and then open the Programs control panel. Select the option to View installed updates.

Capture1.PNG

The Uninstall an update window opens. Towards the right hand side you can see the Installed on (date) column. If you click the little down arrow at the right side of this column you are allowed to filter the dates. If this just occurred then you can try selecting Last week.

Capture2.PNG

Now, you should be able to scroll through the list of updates to find the Microsoft updates. Select the the most recent ones and select uninstall. You will likely also need to do a reboot.

Capture3.PNG

Of course there is the likely hood that an AutoUpdate will reinstall the updates.  I would look first to see if .NET Framework 4.7 was just installed. If so, please uninstall it, uninstall .Net Framework 4.6.2 and then reinstall 4.6.2 followed by 4.7. The downloads for .NET can be found here.

Please let me know if this helps or if you need additional assistance.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 9 of 9
pendean
in reply to: john.vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report