Extract Data with Hyperlink column

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
stefano6UNFR
885 Views, 10 Replies

Extract Data with Hyperlink column

Hi all,

I am trying to extract a list of components from my 3D model so that I can copy it into another platform to get those component ordered. My 3D model is essentially made of 3d solids and 3D blocks.

Each 3D block is a standard part with a hyperlink within the 3D block which basically drives you to the website of the standard part to purchase it.

What I am trying to achieve is apparently very easy.

I need a total of 3 columns

• 1 for ITEM
  • 1 for COUNT or QTY
  • 1 for HYPERLINK

With the command COUNT I can easily extract a list with 2 columns only (ITEM & Count) but there is no way I can customize it  and add another column.

With Extract Data command, I can see the chance to create a list with the HYPERLINK but for some reason, Autocad does not read the hyperlinks within the 3D block editor, but read the one when the 3D block is selected only instead. (when you select the 3D block and you open the properties palette, that Hyperlink)

Is there any chance to let autocad read the Hyperlink in the block editor? Or is there any chance I can actually set the hyperlink that Autocad read only?

I have tried to open a 3D block as a dwg, but there is no chance I can select the "global" hyperlink, so everytime I import a 3D block, Autocad does not see this but sees the actual Hyperlink within the 3D block editor.

Can you please help?

thanks

At the moment I am stuck 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hello @stefano6UNFR 

<<....Autocad does not read the hyperlinks within the 3D block editor, but read the one when the 3D block is selected...>>

Of course it does. Since that's the way AutoCAD does it, you'll need to TRICK the DataExtraction into using the HYPERLINK and not the text 'when the 3D block is selected.' You 'll need to perform an edit in the EDITOR then perform the Data Extraction. 

1. For example, I have six solids (image-1).

Image-1Image-1

2. Each solid has a HYPERLINK as shown in the Editor below (image-2). The 'Hyperlink' itself and the 'Text to Display' are identical. The Text to Display is captured during DataExtraction, not the Hyperlink.

Image-2Image-2

3. The DataExtraction will compile the extraction results in a csv file (image-3). Since the Text to Display is read during extraction, the hyperlink ends up in column G.

Image-3Image-3

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 3 of 11

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

The whole point of doing the list, is keeping the 3D block as they are. 

When I am import the 3D block from the palettes, these don't show hyperlink when selected(8JOQRE9dba.png) but as said, within the block editor (Uzs4fMDO22.png).

This is because the database is set in that way and I cannot really copy and past the hyperlink from the block editor to the "main" properties for all them. It would a waste of time.

What I am trying to understand, is if there is a method so Autocad can read the inner hyperlink /text to display 

or if there is a way to incorporate the main hyperlink (outside of the block) when importing the block from the palette.

Hope it makes sense!

thanks

Message 4 of 11

Questions:

1. Where did this block originate?
  2. Who created the hyperlink?

When I use data extraction I am able to pull out the hyperlink, but you’re implying you can’t. 

Can you share your block(s) for troubleshooting?

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
stefano6UNFR
in reply to: stefano6UNFR

Hi,

I mainly create the blocks or download from the suppliers and adapt them following our factory standard (layers, 3d only mainly). The hyperlinks are mainly the website and I attach them.

see an example I am trying to get the list from, with 3no 3D blocks

thanks

Message 6 of 11

Hi @stefano6UNFR 

Thanks for uploading your dwg.

I was able to do it but there's a 'catch.' I had to perform DATAEXTRACTION command twice:  (1) the two blocks in group A and (2) the block in group B. Both A blocks (parts named Standard Key Clamp and Zinc Plated Mesh) are individual blocks whereas B block which is a block itself, but is comprised of 3 separate blocks, make up the part named Crank Barrel Bolt.

Refer to image-1.

Image-1Image-1

When I use DataExtraction command on group A and group B, I can generate and .xls like this (image-2 & image-3),

Image-2Image-2

Image-3Image-3  

In both spreadsheets, the DataExtraction output will display the hyperlink in column C.

NOTE:

The data in image 2 and 3 are from your blocks. The blocks were not modified. No blocks were edited in the Block Editor. The Block Editor is not needed to extract the hyperlink to xls. The same procedure also allows you to extract to txt and csv formats. You may even extract to an AutoCAD Table that can be inserted directly into the same dwg file.

Are you using DATAEXTRACTION (image-4).

Image-4Image-4

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 7 of 11

Hi,

I finally made it as you suggested.

Unfortunately the list is unusable as the hyperlink comes where the 3D solid row is and in random order.

At this point, I wonder if there is a way to have the Hyperlink set when I create and store the 3D block?

As said, adding it everytime I import a 3d block is a waste of time.

thanks again.

Message 8 of 11

@stefano6UNFR wrote (post#3)

<<….This is because the database is set in that way…>>

Since you are unable to foresee the issues that will occur with the data upon insertion of the block, then your output like that.

Data extraction doesn’t predict what data you’ll need and put it in the order that will make you happy, it simply pulls the data out. It’s up to you, the user, to manipulate and massage the data so it works for you. You are in control, not AutoCad. 

<<…I wonder if there is a way to have the Hyperlink set when I create and store the 3D block?>>

Of course there is, but not using plain vanilla AutoCad.

Plain vanilla Cad is like a dumb phone….you can talk and text. That’s it. No voice directions when driving, no bluetooth, no internet. Do you run Map3D or Civil3D? Those versions can work with database files. Easily work with them. They can create, read and manipulate data. Various types of data. They’re  hammers

<<I wonder if there is a way to have the Hyperlink set when I create and store the 3D block?>>

Of course there is. But not with vanilla Cad, it can’t and doesn’t read database files. 

Right now, you’re pounding nails with a brick. To improve your pounding, you’ll search for one with the right shape and right weight and you’ll eventually find one. But in the end, it’s still a brick, not a hammer. 

<<….the list is unusable as the hyperlink comes where the 3D solid row is and in random order….>>
This is due to the data’s author, not the data user. The user can, if he knows how, leverage the data into a format that’s productive.

However, using the right software, the data can either be automatically added during block insertion, and depending on the block and type of data, can be ‘attached’ to existing objects en masse. 

<<….adding it everytime I import a 3d block is a waste of time…>>
You’re right, it’s a waste of time. So is your solution to give up? Accept the limitations of vanilla Cad and fine tune data extraction in a spreadsheet. Then move forward with more important things. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
stefano6UNFR

Hi,

thank you very much for your feedback.

As my company is currently in a quite time, I will try to try other version of CAD and see what it's best. We have available Architecture, MEP, Electrical & Map 3d. 

Whic one you suggest to start with based on our conversation so far?

I will accept the above post as a solution.

thanks again

Message 10 of 11

Use Map3D.

BTW, if your data is originating from different manufacturers then it's likely you'll still need to massage the output because each manufacturer will have their own way of describing each part or each piece. Also, if you have created your own data, you yourself, have likely developed your own personal way of describing each part. Due to the various descriptions that may be given to each part you'll need to put some effort into the process to achieve your final list. 

For example, an individual part might be described differently by different suppliers: Part No., Part#, ID, Name, Item, Desc., etc., etc. Even though each term describes a 'Part' you want to order, you'll still need to find a way to list all Parts in the same column despite their varied descriptions. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
stefano6UNFR

Thanks again.

have a good day

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report