Did you mean: 

Exporting AutoCAD Geometry into Revit

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sec2282
186 Views, 3 Replies

Exporting AutoCAD Geometry into Revit

Hi all, 

I recently started doing renderings for a company that does not have experience with that design service, so I am on my own when it comes to troubleshooting my software. I have only had experience with Revit, so when some of the furniture pieces that I have been importing are only available as DWGs it has been a little difficult to navigate. There is one piece in particular that is giving me issues. I first opened the 3D DWG in AutoCAD 2025, and exploded it to then add materials. In AutoCAD it looks exactly how I want it to. When I saved it and imported it as a DWG into Revit it showed the materials but it was missing some of the geometry. I've been doing some research and tried saving it as an ACIS SAT file, and I was able to see all of the geometry in Revit, but then the materials were lost. If anyone can provide me with some guidance I would really appreciate it!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: sec2282

Your issue is REVIT importing, nothing to do with "exporting" sadly.
PLUS not sure why you are exploding the 3D solids to just add materials?

I recommend you ask for guidance in the REVIT forums as well, but this time, make your post title more specific to the issue (the one here is too vague) like
"IMPORTING AUTOCAD MATERIALS WITH GEOMETRY IS FAILING"

The forums are over here:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-products/ct-p/2003
Message 3 of 4
sec2282
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for your response!

So the reason I exploded it was because at first not all of the geometry was showing up in AutoCAD either, but then when I exploded it it appeared. This was a solution I found through the many forums I was looking at, and then I applied materials afterwards. Like I mentioned in my post I really only have experience with Revit so trying to navigate AutoCAD is completely new to me, so if that was an incorrect way of going about it then that would be great to know. 

I will try posting in the Revit forum! Thanks again!

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: sec2282

@sec2282 wrote:

...I will try posting in the Revit forum! Thanks again!

Looks like you are starting to receive more guidance

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/importing-3d-autocad-geometry-with-materials...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report