Did you mean: 

Export is missing in Tool Palettes

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
kjskoog
4624 Views, 15 Replies

Export is missing in Tool Palettes

I have created offcie standards tool palettes and want to share with everyone in my office. In the instructions to Export it says to right -click on the tool palette in the Customize dialog box and choose export. When I right-click on the tool palette I want to share there is export option. How can I share my Tool Palettes to everyone?

Kory Skoog

CADD Technician

Kory Skoog
PM/BIM Manager
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: kjskoog

@kjskoog wrote:

I have created offcie standards tool palettes and want to share with everyone in my office. In the instructions to Export it says to right -click on the tool palette in the Customize dialog box and choose export. When I right-click on the tool palette I want to share there is export option. How can I share my Tool Palettes to everyone?

Kory Skoog

CADD Technician

Are you using vanilla ACAD or a vertical?

Mine is here in vanilla ACAD 2016.

Message 3 of 16
kjskoog
in reply to: Anonymous

I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2016. When I opened vanilla AutoCAD it had the export option. So the question is how do I share our office standards tool palettes? Some are using vanilla AutoCAD 2016 and some are using Architecture 2016.

Thank you

Kory Skoog

CAD Technician

Kory Skoog
PM/BIM Manager
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

@kjskoog wrote:

I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2016. When I opened vanilla AutoCAD it had the export option. So the question is how do I share our office standards tool palettes? Some are using vanilla AutoCAD 2016 and some are using Architecture 2016.

Thank you

Kory Skoog

CAD Technician

Here's a primer: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-architecture/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2...

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

When I go to the tool palette it does not give me the option to export. All I see is New Group and Rename. I've tried different profiles but nothing. Any idea?

Message 6 of 16
kjskoog

Kory Skoog
PM/BIM Manager
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

This isi all I get when I try. It's not even graying it out. It's just not there.

Message 8 of 16
kjskoog

I see you are using AutoCAD MEP. This will not work in AutoCAD MEP, AutoCAD Architecture, etc.... Export tool palettes is only in plain AutoCAD. I had this frustration with AutoCAD Architecture. Basically I found where the tool palette, in question, was located and went into Windows Explorer and copied it into our shared tool palette folder. It's a pain. I can't figure out why Autodesk is allowing exporting of tool palettes in plain AutoCAD but not the MEP, Architecture programs.

Hope this helps.

Kory Skoog

CAD/BIM Manager

Kory Skoog
PM/BIM Manager
Message 9 of 16
kjskoog

One thing I forgot. If you copy the tool palette file, you will need to also copy all the images that go with it. I found it easier to copy the content within the Image folder. Look for the location of your Tool Palettes folder in your Options -> Tool Palettes File Location. You can direct AutoCAD MEP to find your tool palettes there.

Kory Skoog

CAD/BIM Manager

Kory Skoog
PM/BIM Manager
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

Mr Skoog,

What a Pain In My &^%^.....What a nightmare! I appreciate your tip about MEP. I use merging 2014 to 2015 to see where the atc (I thought it was still xpt) file was going. then finely did a search in explorer to fine what I had name the tab, and found some big loe long file name with the atc extension and it was it. Thanx For Your Help Sir!

Steve Allen

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

big "ole"

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Mr Skoog,
It this you? I've got some questions concerning doing plumbing design in Revit. It just does not work when I try to produce a 2-D plan.
Thanx Again.

Steve Allen
stevea@spencerbristol.com

[SBE email]
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
Mr Skoog,
It this you? I've got some questions concerning doing plumbing design in Revit. It just does not work when I try to produce a 2-D plan.
Thanx Again.

Steve Allen
stevea@spencerbristol.com

[SBE email]

This is the ACAD forum.  There is another forum just for Revit questions.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

""The cleanest and easiest way is to copy and move the entire palette folder to a secure network location. Make sure other users have the same drive letter mapping for block tools when installing Tool Palettes on different machines."" Matt Murphy AU 2015

From Matt's class in 2015:

(princ "\n                 ToolPalette Utilities...")
(defun c:tpcs () (command "*_toolpalettepath" "N:\\ACAD2015\\CS\\Palettes\\cs" "toolpalettes"))
(defun c:tpstd () (command "*_toolpalettepath" "C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\AppData\\Roaming\\Autodesk\\AutoCAD 2015\\R20.0\\enu\\Support\\ToolPalette"  "toolpalettes"))
(defun c:tpmy () (command "*_toolpalettepath" "C:\\Users\\%USERNAME%\\AppData\\Roaming\\Autodesk\\AutoCAD 2015\\R20.0\\enu\\Support\\ToolPalette_2"  "toolpalettes"))
(princ "   ... Loaded")
(princ "\n      Use TPSTD for Standard ACAD Palette")
(princ "\n      Use TPCS  for Civil-Structural Palette")
(princ "\n      Use TPMY  for Personal Palette")
(princ)

Note the first defun is pointed to a network location on our "N:" drive.  That's where the "corporate" tools are maintained and everyone has access without exporting and importing for every change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John, I went to AU2015, so I have access to these videos and associated handouts.  Not sure how someone who didn't go would have access, but maybe you could work some magic behind the scenes and at least get a copy of the handouts.  

The videos and handouts in the links below (Paul Munford and one from Matt Murphy) will show you how to move a tool palette directory to a network location.

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2015/autocad/gen11407#chapter=0

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2015/autocad/it10856#chapter=0

Message 15 of 16
kjskoog

Steve;

You're welcome for directing you in directing your Tool Palettes location. I work with the Architectural software and unfamiliar with the MEP software. Please direct your question for Revit plumbing to the Revit MEP forum. 

Thank you.

Kory Skoog

CAD/BIM Manager

Kory Skoog
PM/BIM Manager
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

Found a solution to export and import tool pallets with ACA C3D and MEP.

Basically you need to open your tool pallets in regular AutoCAD then export then finally drag and drop the XTP files to the command prompt.

Here is the step by step:

1. Get the tool pallet path from your flavor of AutoCAD.  Options -> Files (You know the drill) 

2. Create a new folder to put the export in.

3. Close ACAD, C3D, and or MEP

3. Open Regular AutoCAD.

4. Save your existing tool pallet path.

5. Change your tool pallet path to the one from step 1.

6. type CUSTOMIZE

7. Right click on the tool pallet you wish to export.  Export that to the folder you created in step 2.

7.5 Change your tool pallet path back to what it was.

8. Close AutoCAD

9. Open ACA, C3D or MEP

10. Drag and Drop the export XTP file to the command line of ACA, C3D or MEP

11. Enjoy your imported tool pallet

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report