Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG live Preview handler(windows explorer)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
otoluk
1150 Views, 4 Replies

DWG live Preview handler(windows explorer)

Does AutoCAD include support live preview for Windows explorer? I am not talking about low-resolution thumbnail provider but simplified DWG viewer which shows contents of file in Windows explorer/Outlook preview pane(preview handler) without opening it. Like it works for PDF/DOC for example.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: otoluk

Nope.

Are you just trying to quickly view DWG files? There are many 3rd party (not free) apps that do that, explore them, try before you buy, they all have quirks.
Message 3 of 5
otoluk
in reply to: pendean

Strange, there is now one for Onedrive - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2019/03/27/announcing-new-integrations-autodesk-a...

Did previously the Autocad activex viewer provide full preview in Internet Explorer?

Message 4 of 5
pendean

Then you need to upload and access/view your files inside OneDrive and not your PC: I believe they have the same deal with DropBox too.

HTH

Message 5 of 5
TheCADnoob

You can get better thumbnails but it wont be like the preview options available for files like office docs or PDFs.

There are a couple system variables available depending on the version you are using. 

THUMBSAVE controls weather or not the thumbnail is created

To change the size and resolution of the thumbnail use the THUMBSIZE command. 

Theses setting can also be reached by going into the OPTIONS dialog. I was able to get larger thumbnails buy doing the things listed in this link: https://cadprotips.com/2014/06/08/thumbs-up-for-previews-in-autocad/

AutoCAD can create all the way up to 2560x2560 thumbnails but it should be noted that file explorer only goes up to 256x256. So 256 as of right now is the largest you can get it.  I tried it on a newer system and was able to get very large file previews. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost