Did you mean: 

Drawing title scale to match annotative scale automatically

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
dillonlagrange80RKWTC
1134 Views, 10 Replies

Drawing title scale to match annotative scale automatically

Hello. I use the drawing title dynamic block that comes standard with autocad, and I change my annotative scale to either grow or shrink the annotations to all be equal on the page depending on the scale of the view (as I believe most people do too) When I pull the drawing title from the tool palette, where it says "scale" it always defaults as "1:1", regardless of the annotation scale that is currently in use. I am wondering if there is a way to edit the block so that depending on the scale my annotation scale is set to, the scale shown on the drawing title will match automatically. Then in addition, if I change the drawing titles annotative scale, ideally the scale shown will update on its own to match the newly set annotative scale too.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

@dillonlagrange80RKWTC 

Pardon me, but your use of annotations scales seems contrary to their intent.

Most of us set up sheets in paperspace layouts.  There, everything is 1:1.  So a 24x36 title block (with border) is 24x36 (less margins).  We just use differently scaled viewports.  And that's where the annotation scale comes into play.  If we set and create notes and labels to be annotative at 1"=20', then they will appear in a 1"=20' viewport at the right height.  And if you add more scales to your notes and labels, then they will show up the right size in other viewports of differing scales.  Meanwhile, your title block in paperspace is always 1:1.  And you plot at 1:1.

There are many here who can explain it better than I, so if you have more questions just respond (within the same topic; don't create a new one).

John F. Uhden

Message 3 of 11

Hi John. I think you might be misunderstanding what I mean. I also use the scaled viewports in conjunction with the scaled annotation scales so that things appear correctly on the page. What I am talking about is the title tool (typically shown with a number inside a circle, a label to the right of that, and the scale under the title) that you would typically place right below an elevation. When I pull the title tool from my tool palette, the scale it shows by default is "Scale: 1:1", and I don't mean its size or anything, I mean what the text shows in the "scale" spot of the title tool. What I would like is for the tool to recognize which annotation scale I am currently using, and automatically show the scale text on the tool to match the annotative scale I am using. So if I have my annotation scale set to 3/4"=1' 0" than instead of the title tool from the palette saying "Scale: 1:1" in the scale spot, it would instead already come out saying "Scale: 3/4"=1' 0"", that way I don't have to open the block and edit what it says each time. This is a difficult thing to explain, a lot of the things I am trying to say are the same name as something else in autocad, so I understand that it's not easy to understand.view title dynamic block from tool paletteview title dynamic block from tool palette

Message 4 of 11

@dillonlagrange80RKWTC 

I get it... a separate title for each viewport.

I am ashamed to admit that I know nothing about dynamic blocks, but I'm sure that one or more of our Elites can help you make your title block get "attached" to a viewport to pick up its scale and plunk it into an attribute.

@hak_vz ?

@ВeekeeCZ ?

@Kent1Cooper ?

@pbejse ?

@ronjonp ?

et al ? 

John F. Uhden

Message 5 of 11

Well hey, I appreciate the help regardless! Thanks John.
Message 6 of 11

Can you use a field for this?

ronjonp_0-1659037851992.png

Message 7 of 11

I poked around at that before, it has been a while since I tried, but I wasn't successful when I tried. Maybe if someone else knows exactly how to do it that way, they can say here how.

Message 8 of 11

@dillonlagrange80RKWTC wrote:

I poked around at that before, it has been a while since I tried, but I wasn't successful when I tried. Maybe if someone else knows exactly how to do it that way, they can say here how.

What do you need help with?

Go into your attribute and right click, insert field, then follow the screen capture above picking the viewport you want to link to.

Message 9 of 11
DumR0
in reply to: ronjonp

Hi, @dillonlagrange80RKWTC 

The metod of the @ronjonp , works with the condition that the block will be on paperspace

Message 10 of 11

For view titles placed in model space:

-If Autodesk had added AnnotationScale as a block placeholder option, you would've been able to do it OOTB.

-Otherwise, you would need to change the scale manually or write a program that would input it automatically.

View titles place in paper space:

-Yes, an object attributes could be used to link a viewport to the scale note but it would be as much trouble as inputing the scale manually.  The advantage of using object fields with either the custom or standard scale chosen, is that if the viewport wasn't locked and inadvertently changed, the viewtitle would always state the actual scale. This too could be automated by custom command.

-A better approach, if you can deal with sheet sets, is to use the sheet set features and standard view titles provided in those templates to automatically title and scale each view placed in a sheet set layout.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 11 of 11

Thank you for the response, it seems like this might be my best approach.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report