Did you mean: 

Drawing file size too large

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
KevinPinks7697
35407 Views, 17 Replies

Drawing file size too large

Hello, one customer is telling me that my drawing file is too large? How do I reduce the size?

Right now the file size is 6.56MB

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
dmfrazier
in reply to: KevinPinks7697

6.6 MB is not an unreasonable size for a DWG file, depending of course on what it contains.

You can start by PURGE-ing (thoroughly).

If that doesn't cut it down to size, post a copy here and you will get some additional suggestions.

Message 3 of 18
braudpat

Hello

Large/Huge DWG, look at this topic :

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-DWG-Format/Large-DWGs-and-ACAD-MAP-201x-64-bits-and-...

A 16 Gb Memory PC will be enough to load my huge GIS/Mapping Test 2D DWG (290 Mb) !

So a 7 Mb DWG is a small/medium DWG for me ...

Which ACAD are you running exactly ?

Which Service Pack installed ?

Which Windows ?

32 or 64 bits ?

How much memory on your PC ?

The Health, Happy New Year, Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 18
pothied
in reply to: braudpat

If the files appear to be bloated for no good reason, they could be effected by the DGN linetype issue. There is a hotfix to remove the unneeded data that you can find here:

The 2013/2014 AutoCAD hotfix for the DGN linetype issue is available here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=DL22002791

The 2012 AutoCAD hotfix for the DGN linetype issue is available here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=DL22174522

David Pothier

Message 5 of 18
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: pothied

... not to mention too many layer states, or too many scales in the scale list...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 6 of 18
JustCavalli
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Dear AutoCAD team,

I got same problem, I also tried searching internet to find a solution and read these post as well, but still can't find for my problem.

I'm still try to find what's the reason cause my drawing size is too big.

But I'm hope that you guys here can help me to find out.

Here I attached with a link to my account at www.mediafire.com for my files. ('cos size is big)

So, please refer and help me : http://www.mediafire.com/download/641055lsp9sazll/FOUNDATION_4F_VRV_-_Standard.zip

Or click here : FOUNDATION_4F_VRV_-_Standard.zip

Things I've tried :

- PURGE / AUDIT / OVERKILL / WBLOCK / Save as DXF and many crazy thing else. But no hope.

My PC specs :

Core i3 / 4GB Ram / Radeon HD4650 1GB

AutoCAD LT 2012.

Now, I can't sent my drawing to owner for submit just because it is too heavy for an email, and they also don't want to get from any other download server.

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thanks & Best regards

Message 7 of 18
braudpat
in reply to: JustCavalli

Hello from France

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

You are receiving DWGs from "standard" AutoCAD + High Level Applics or from ACAD Architecture or ACAD MEP or ACAD CIVIL ?

Because you have 226 registered applications in your DWG !

Look at the 2 JPGs ...

I have loaded your DWG and you are facing to the "DGN LineType" problem !

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD...

So ...

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
braudpat

Hello

Please find (New Version with PURGE+PURGE) your DWG without the DGN Linetypes !

But always with the 226 registered Applics !!

Is it OK for you ?

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 18
JustCavalli

Dear braudpat.

Deeply thanks for your reply.

I was never know about this matter / or my knowledge were limit for this.

Now Im study as your sugguest.

Now I knew what's the reason for this problem.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Message 10 of 18
braudpat

Hello from France

Please have you tested "my" version of your DWG ? ... Only 1.2 Mb ...

Sorry, the RAR file (joined to my previous msg) is the DWG version without any Registered Applics (226 removed), I am removed all of them !!

Is it OK for you ? and for your ACAD LT 2012 ??

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 11 of 18
JustCavalli

Dear Braudpat,

I've just download and open.

I'm didn't notice any difference after you removed all Registered Applics (Actually, my ACAD skill is not good so I'm studing about "Registered Applics" after your post. I'm really don't know if you removed all of them could be effected to my drawing expect file size or not)

But Im happy that it still work fine with my ACAD LT 2012 and file size is reduced !

And that's all I need.

Thanks a lot

Message 12 of 18
braudpat

Hello

You are happy so I am happy !

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 13 of 18
vs.vijayakanth
in reply to: pothied

hi,

I try that hotfix also never solve that issue even file size increasing instead of decrease, so how to solve? 

if i uninstall autocad and re install back can solve the issue? please advise. if possible please post video link for easy to understand.

FYI:

WHEN EVER I CREATE NEW DWG NO ISSUE BUT when i copy from my existing dwg file its happening and autocad hang for a while then will be ok after wards file size too big. My original file size around 50kb if i create manually, if i copy from my previous file its took 21MB, so please adivce accordingly.

when ever i copy some layer from my previous file alwasy these two layer automatically added in to my Layer there

1) CORE$0$$AUDIT-BAD-LAYER

2) R68_GRID-$0$$AUDIT-BAD-LAYER

Regards.

VJ

Message 14 of 18
dmfrazier
in reply to: vs.vijayakanth

Uninstalling/re-installing AutoCAD will not affect the DWG file.

If this is the "DGN Bloat" issue (I don't recall that the issue applied to pre-2013 DWGs), I recommend searching Exchange Apps for "DWGPurge".  It's worth a try.

You could also try installing a 30-day trial version of the most current release of your Autodesk product and opening the problem file with it.  Thoroughly purge the DWG and save it back to the 2010 version file format.

Message 15 of 18

Hi,

$AUDIT-BAD-LAYER ... layers are created with command _AUDIT whenever AutoCAD find's defect objects which can't be repaired automatically.

These objects land on such layers, and I would not try to use them in other drawings. Recreate the geometry from scratch will avoid a lot of new problems you might get.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 16 of 18
wispoxy

Not only will PURGE do a lot for you, but using JOIN to put line sigments together can reduce your files size 40%.

In Addition, when sending someone a dw, be sure to use the ETRANSMIT command to compress and organzie what you send.

Message 17 of 18
ricky_pucheu
in reply to: wispoxy

As long as you aren't using any AECC objects like label styles and such, you can dxfout and dxfin. It will not affect you tabs.

Message 18 of 18
weimingu
in reply to: ricky_pucheu

wblock - choose "entire drawing" option, evrything stays just file size smaller.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost