Drawing file is not valid

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jimharry128
2280 Views, 6 Replies

Drawing file is not valid

Hello

I am trying to open a .dwg file in autocad 2020 but i keep getting drawing file is not valid, i have tried the command recover but no luck and when i use the command WHOHAS i get the path of the file and user:unknown. I even tried to open it in autocad 2018 but there it doesnt even open.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi,

>> Any help will be greatly appreciated

If you upload the file we may be able to help ...

Have you tried backups from this file, do previous versions of the file also have issues?

Other questions:

• did you create the file
  • which software and version was used to create the file
  • was it working well previously (or did you get the file now and it never opened)?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7

The file was created by me in autocad 2020, it worked fine but all of a sudden yesterday i went to open it and i got the drawing file is not valid popup.

Message 4 of 7
imadHabash
in reply to: jimharry128

i think you have a corrupted CAD dwg file that even after Recover we don't have any thing . try to look at your TEMP folder for any backup file . 

Capture.PNG

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 5 of 7

Hi,

>> but all of a sudden yesterday i went to open it and i got the

>> drawing file is not valid

I get a different message, I get the message "The drawing file needs recovery". Can you please show a screenshot which message you get exactly.

When I open your drawing and recover it it looks like empty, how about restoring from a backup, does that file work?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 7
vinodkl

Hi,

I recovered the drawing and found some line objects in the drawing. Not sure what these are and they are drawn at different UCS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 7
iant123DM83S

I have just experienced "Drawing file is not valid" twice in 24 hours.

Normally I work from home [LT2021] but am in an office of a company atm who have set me up on OneDrive cloud storage... so what I do in their office I can continue from home office onOneDrive. It seems there is a 'sync' issue when I saved to cloud [perhaps glitch in internet when I saved the file] as it had "0 kb" file size [next day].  Fortunately I backed up manually to my External Hard Drive [Solid State... takes the knocks]...

Both times where it said "Drawing file is not valid", the file size was '0Kb". My 2cents...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

AutoCAD Inside the Factory