Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions not to sclae in viewport

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
1932 Views, 15 Replies

Dimensions not to sclae in viewport

I am trying to dimension a 10' line in a viewport that is at 1" = 1'-0". I dimension it in model space an it shows 10'-0".  When i dimasion it in paper space, I get 10".

I could do this with ths same drawing the last time I worked in it.  How do I get it to show 10'-0" dimension in paper space?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you dimensioning over the viewport, in the layout?
Are you snapping to END or INT points, or just "getting close"?
Is DIMASSOC set to be on in the file?
AutoCAD version?
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Are you dimensioning over the viewport, in the layout? Yes
Are you snapping to END or INT points, or just "getting close"? End Points
Is DIMASSOC set to be on in the file? Yes
AutoCAD version? 2016

Message 4 of 16
pendean

Show us your DWG file please
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Make sure you're actively working in or "through" the viewport in order to ensure you're applying the dimension to the objects in model space, which is where it is its true length.  I get the same results you do...if I simply place the dimension on the line in paper space without first making sure my viewport is active.

Message 7 of 16
drjohn

DIMASSOC = 2

Regards,

DJ

Message 8 of 16
pendean

Your DWG file does not exhibit the problem if I draw a 10foot line in modelspace then dimension it in paperspace.

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 16
jackshield

THIS METHOD WOULD PLACE THE DIMS IN MODEL SPACE?

SURE THATS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO?

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: jackshield

Not sure it's what they want to do as it isn't made clear which method they would actually prefer.  I did make it clear that that is what it will do, so it is one method of achieving the described goal.

Message 11 of 16
jackshield

the original post states they are dimensioning in a viewport at a given scale.

one would assume they want the dimension in paper space.

i cannot replicate problem as it works as it should for me,

however, his file doesnt contain any 10' line or dimension, so its hard to see what he was actually doing.

Message 12 of 16
dbroad

Your drawing looks fine.  If you want to place dimensions in model space that measure the distance in model space, you need to:

1) Have dimassoc set to 2 which you have.

2) Use object snap to select point in model space on the objects you wish to dimension (or select a model space object).  Just picking points on top of a viewport does not interpret the model space dimension.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

I apologize,  I uploaded the wrong file earlier.

The reason I want to use this method is two-fold. I want to draw all of the detail on the same model drawing and then be able to zoom in in the view port and dimension and annotoate there. That way I do not have to re-draw it if I want to see an enlarged plan or detail.

The other reason is that I do not have to monkey around with using the dim12 dimstyle if its a 1" scale viewport or a dim8 if its a 3/4" (I'm sure that is not the right conversion and that is my point). This way I do not have to mess with that.  I just annotate in the view port and everything is 1/8" text and to the correct scale. If I can figure out why it does not work on this drawing.

Message 14 of 16
jackshield

works on mine.

your dimstyle is listed as "BIS-full sclae layout", which is based on BIS12

MAYBE IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH ALL THESE DIMSTYLES YOU DONT NEED.

Message 15 of 16
pendean

Well, again, if I just open your file, start DIMLIEAR command, and pick your 10' line your active dimstyle plants a 10' dimension in paperpsace.

I think you all are ready to move to annotative text and dim styles: one text style and one dimstyle for ALL of your dimensioning and text needs. Read about it here, switch today, you'll thank me next week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78tu9RUdWkE 

You seem to have a dozen or so dimstyles in your file: is the problem specific to one of them only? Then it's probably a rounding setting in that dimstyle. the ones I tried did not replicate your issue.

Capture.PNG

Message 16 of 16
jackshield

works on mine.

your dimstyle is listed as "BIS-full sclae layout", which is based on BIS12

maybe it has something to do with the dimstyles, although it worked for me.

thing is, your errant dim was done in dimstyle that was not current in drawing, so i'm not sure what you are doing here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

AutoCAD Beta