Did you mean: 

deleting sheet from drawing package

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
340 Views, 5 Replies

deleting sheet from drawing package

Trying to work smarter and not harder.

The company i work for designs and constructs commercial electrical systems.  We complete our design packages in autocad.  We create layout drawings and electrical one lines.  We don't do much controls or any printed circuit type work.  

Our package usually consists of a separate autocad file for each page of the package.  These sheets cross reference each other.  We put detail sheets at the end and reference them throughout the package.

The problem is when a sheet needs to be deleted or added.  Our designs can involve a lengthy time span and some times many changes.  After a sheet is added/deleted then all of the cross references need to be changed not to mention the page numbers. 

What tools exist to simplify the process of changing these?  Is there anyway to make these variables that reference a database of sorts some changes can be made in one place.  If you could point of some possible solutions that I can research I would appreciate it.  I understand a simple solution is to just leave a blank page but I prefer to address the change if possible.  Seems like this would be a common occurrence. Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Do you use sheet sets in your production?  That might simply the process by using the labels and callouts.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

We do not use sheet sets.  I am not familiar with this feature.  I will have to do some research to see how it would apply.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
pendean

Do you folks you paperspace/layouts for your titleblocks and sheet names/numbers? If yes, explore getting into using SSM (SheetSet Manager) which can at least simplify adding/dropping sheets and adjusting titleblock sheet names/numbers.

As for Xrefs, have you experimented with the external application that installs with AutoCAD called REFERENCE MANAGER?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

we do use paperspace/layouts for title blocks and numbers.  the title block has attributes built into it.  we do all of our symbols in model space and then place all callouts and text in paperspace.

we do make heavy use of xrefs as we often start with drawings provided by our customers.  i have not experienced reference manager.  i am not an experienced user of autocad.  just the basics.  we have a drafter who is getting up to speed but i am trying to come up with some potential solutions for him to investigate.  thanks for you suggestion.

Message 6 of 6
Cadologist

As others have suggested, and I will as well.... look into Sheet Set Manager (SSM).

There will be effort to structure your existing standards/sheet borders into SSM, however the time savings are extensive and the issues your being faced with will easily be solved via SSM.

Example: I had a 500 drawing package across 6 offices, where electrical would keep adding drawings in the middle of the package. This required all subsequent sheets to be renumbered, callouts/referencing updates, etc.  All this, via SSM could be completed within less than a half hour vs. hours upon hours of manually opening each drawing, attribute edits, cross-checking, etc.

The AutoCAD Blogs recently posted an extensive document on SSM including setup and best practices, check it out below.

https://www.autodesk.com/cad-manager/manage-projects/mastering-autocad-sheet-sets and also;

http://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/tag/mastering-autocad-sheet-sets/

Chad Franklin
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report