Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a PDF from .dwg

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
4318 Views, 23 Replies

Creating a PDF from .dwg

What do I need to do to create a .pdf from a .dwg file?  My client claims that in the past, he was able to Plot to a pdf instead of an actual plotter.  I have  Adobe Acrobat  installed on the pc but there  is  no option within  the Plot  menu to create a pdf.

I  reloaded this  pc with AutoCad  LT  2006 a while back.  

Tags (1)
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
chriscowgill7373
in reply to: Anonymous

dwg to pdf.pc3 was added at some point to Cad, I'm not sure when, 2011 possibly, maybe earlier.  when you plot, you need to select the pdf distiller or if you have a newer version of AutoCAD one of the several dwg to pdf configurations.

image.png

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous

In Autocad 2006 not plotting PDF?
There is a third party tool called CutePDF, try downloading it.

- Select "Accept as Solution" if it has solved the problem. This will help other users to find an answer. 

Message 4 of 24
Corsten.Au

you will need a pdf createor.

Adobe Acrobat , Bluebeam, Nitro etc..

you may try some online websites i guess to convert DWG / DWF to PDF..

am not sure if thats your choice..

https://www.coolutils.com/online/DWF-to-PDF

Cheers

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 5 of 24
Michiel.Valcke

I am not sure if the command was already available in AutoCad 2006, but have you tried _EXPORTPDF ?

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Michiel.Valcke

Hi.  Thanks  for your response.  Where would I run this _EXPPORTPDF command.  It looks like a command.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Corsten.Au

I have Adobe  Acrobat installed and I can create .pdf's for their doc's (i.e. Word Doc's).  Do you think I need to download another one  of the programs you mention below?

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous

@Anonymous I believe command _EXPPORTPDF is not available in autocad 2006.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

I downloaded CutePDF and although I can now select it when I Plot, the
output is NOT a PDF. I think that I might still have something configured
incorrectly.

I noticed in one of the dialogue boxes the option Print to File. When I
select this option, I get a .plf (plot) file extension.

Message 10 of 24
chriscowgill7373

for the pdf printers, there is no need to select the option to plot to a file, as that is what the pdf driver will automatically do.

Can you provide some screenshots of what you are seeing as you go?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: chriscowgill7373

Thank you for your  response.   I followed the steps  listed  below and have  screen captures for 3 of the  steps.  I hope you can figure  out  what I am doing wrong (or don't have configured).  I just feel that  this  is going to be something very simple.

1. I open dwg to be plotted
2. I select Plot from the File menu
3. I select CutePDF writer in Printer menu
4. It appears to "print"

Tags (3)
Message 12 of 24
gotphish001

I found this. Since you have adobe, I'd try to add that following these steps in the link. You will then have a pc3 file you can use to make pdfs from layouts. The article is from 2013 but I found it in a link to someone asking about 2006 LT PDFs.

Link to PDF goodness

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: gotphish001

Thank you for your   response.  I think that I may have  some other/new issue.  I have installed  the CutePDF Writer and  can "plot" to it.  However, it  doesn't save it to a PDF but  plt file.  Attached is a screen shot of my plotters/printers.

I also followed  the link you provided and attempted to create a new plotter.  However, when I got to the step  to  select the DWF to  PDF  plotter, there was no option (see  attached).

Any ideas?

Message 14 of 24
gotphish001

In your first image: You have autodesk ePlot(dwf) selected. What does it show if you select adobe in the manufacturers?

I've never used cutepdf, so is there a default way it plots and it's set to plt? Is there a check box to print to file that is checked? I'm not familiar with that, but I know lots of people use it so it must work.

Since you have adobe I'm sure that would be your best option since it's paid for already.

I googled "printing to pdf autocad "2006"" and got lots of hits since it's a common thing people want to do since pdf writer was added in 2007. I didn't have time to look through them all. You might have better luck as I was skimming and your images helped me mostly know what I was looking for. You've probably been looking through menus trying to figure it out so like you said it's probably simple and as soon as you see it it will jump out.

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: gotphish001

Thanks.  See the attached.  It  shows PostScript options.  

I have googled per your search criteria and yes, there are many to look through.  

I have Virtually NO experience with AutoCad LT.  I am doing this for a friend who is pc illiterate.  He says  that  it used to  work before  he  had  his pc reloaded.  I did  the reload and  have  never installed ACLT before.  I will move forward  trying the search results and hope for the best.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous

From past experrience I  have  seen apps not  behave with newer  version of Adobe Acrobat  Reader.  I had DC installed so  I  unistalled it and  installed Reader X1.  I uninstalled and reinstalled CutePDF as well.  No difference.

Does  anyone  know  how to get  the  correct options when trying to create a new Plotter.  I following this  link:

https://www.cad-notes.com/how-to-add-autocad-dwg-to-pdf-plotter/

At one point it shows options available for the Autodesk ePlot (PDF) and my  system does not have that option.  See attached.

I  think that if I had  this  option, i would be able to create the correct plotter.

I appreciate any help 

Message 17 of 24
chriscowgill7373

• Unfortunanetly I haven't created a new plotter in a long time, I've just used the dwg to pdf plotter.  I do not have 2006 to open or test with.  does the help system have any screenshots?

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: chriscowgill7373

Not sure what  you are  asking.  I have taken screen shots in previous posts if that is what you are asking.  

Message 19 of 24
chriscowgill7373

I don't know how much the process has changed in the last 12 versions of AutoCAD.   I was asking if the help files for the create a plotter wizard have any screenshots that you can use to assist with setting up your pc3 file.

Message 20 of 24
Anonymous

If you have a remote access tool, I would be willing to grant you access to my 2006 program.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

AutoCAD Inside the Factory