Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting to metafile issue

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
john.p.addy
989 Views, 18 Replies

converting to metafile issue

I'm helping a co-worker out.  I have attacked the file.  When converting to a metafile the hidden & center lines don't keep as the hidden line & center line.  Why he didn't put in a view port instead of copying and pasting it from model space to paper space.  I'm not sure what is wrong, I have messed with the ltscale. 

Thank you,
John Addy
Electrical Engineering Tech.
Department of Defense
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
pendean
in reply to: john.p.addy

What method and command did you use for the conversion?

Message 3 of 19
john.vellek

HI @john.p.addy,

I used WMFOUT and I have attached the result.

Capture.PNG

Are you using a different method?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 19
beyoungjr

Lets start with the obvious... Your file opens with many alerts and 8 XREF's that are attached.  When you post a file with XREF's you need to be aware that we can't see all of the data because we do not have your XREF files.

There are four stray lines that exist almost 1850 units in -Y axis.

Next, None of the objects in Model or Paper Space are the actual size shown by the dimensions.  I used "DI" to check a few simple distances and found Model Space objects to be much smaller than dimensioned, Paper Space objects to a little smaller.

Finally... A metafile!  I was able to export a metafile from Model Space which looks horrible due to size I'm sure.  I also exported a metafile from your Paper Space layout that was a little better but still mostly unreadable.  The hiden and center lines came through to metafile for me.

It appears that all of the dimensions have their text overridden so the dimensions do not reflect the true size at all.

Not sure where you need to go with this but pdf would be a better choice to use and other users could create any image desired from the pdf, which would look much better.

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 5 of 19
john.p.addy
in reply to: pendean

I went to the "A" in the upper left hand corner then down to export then to other format.

Thank you,
John Addy
Department of Defense
Message 6 of 19
john.p.addy
in reply to: beyoungjr

Yes I understand about doing it to scale.  Where we work we don't have to do them to scale, that is why it isn't to scale.  when I started working here it took me a long time to get to not doing things to scale.  I didn't actually draw this also.

Thank you,
John Addy
Department of Defense
Message 7 of 19
john.p.addy
in reply to: john.vellek

Hello John,  I tried the WMFOUT and still got the same thing as before.

Thank you,
John Addy
Department of Defense
Message 8 of 19
john.vellek

Hi @john.p.addy,

Can you print the WMF to a format that you can share? Perhaps a PDF? That way I can see what your results look like.  Is there a reason also that you don't use PNG or PDF  format instead?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 9 of 19
john.p.addy

let me see if I can do that. 

Thank you,
John Addy
Department of Defense
Message 10 of 19
john.p.addy

here is a PDF that I printed from the WMF.

Thank you,
John Addy
Department of Defense
Message 11 of 19
pendean

Why are you creating a PDF from the WMF if I may ask?
Make a PDF from your DWG direct I believe is what everyone is suggesting you do, then create a WMF or other file formats from there.

Why do you only want to create one WMF with both small tiny details? Why not one of each?

Your layout is set up to fail, tiny text and tiny drawings on a very big sheet. you are doing everything to fail IMHO

Capture.PNG

Why are you not trying to make it legible BEFORE you export to WMF instead? Basic page layout rules, start legible, get legible is the basic rule.

Capture.PNG 

Why WMF? Why not something more stable, like PNG or... ? Why not use Windows' own SNIPPING TOOL to capture your images and skip all of this pain? I'm curious about the hard ways you are going about extracting an image.

Forgive me for saying it, but you are not very experienced with the basics of page layouts (nothing to do with your AutoCAD ability), are you? What purpose are you trying to create WMF files for, which software are you trying to insert images into exactly?

Let us know what we need to do to get you to move away from your big setup mistake and help you get legible WMFs out of AutoCAD.

Message 12 of 19
john.p.addy

The reason I printed in a PDF form is because @john.vellek asked me to do that.

why we use .wmf I couldn't tell you that is how they did it when I started working here. 

what we do is change them to .wmf and then they get put on Microsoft word doc. 

guess that is the only why they could figure out how to do that.  this is the first place I have worked

where they do that at.

I've been working with Autocad since 1992 working on Autocad 10 before it came windows base, but all this is all new to with the metafile an i'm still learning.   I have always worked for Architects and or Structural engineers where we everything in model space and then in paper space create view ports and scale them to either 1/4"=1'-0" or 1/2"=1'-0" an so on.

Thank you,
John Addy
Department of Defense
Message 13 of 19
pendean

Do this, it is the most common method 99% of the planet uses to get pictures into MSWord from other applications, we will use your posted DWG file as the test.

Expand your AutoCAD program window to be full screen.
Click on your layout tab.
Zoom into one of those details so it fills your entire screen and you can read everything without glasses at 3-feet away from the screen.

Open Windows Snipping Tool App
Click on the NEW button on that pop-up.
Draw a very tight window all around your AutoCAD detail.
If you like the screen capture image, click on the save button on that pop-up, select PNG file format, call it DETAIL1.

Repeat for the other detail.

Send both PNG files to the MSWord user, tell them it is the year 2018 and everyone uses PNG today, it's not 1999 anymore, that party is over. If they still want WMF, there are free old-school converters out there to do the job.

If you want more help using Windows Snipping Tool (it's been around since Windows7 and is til there in Windows10) explore this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

Message 14 of 19
john.vellek

Hi @john.p.addy,

I know that we have dealt with some WMF issues before together.  I agree with @pendean that it is perhaps time to change the process a bit. MS Word can easily handle PNG files which are lightweight and easy with which to work.

I made a quick video to show you both processes and how they can easily work with Word.  I think an update in process would help your team quite a bit.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 15 of 19
john.p.addy

I would have to talk to my boss about the switch and get his ok with it before doing it.  I'm going to show him and the other guy that does Autocad this thread.

Thank you,
John Addy
Department of Defense
Message 16 of 19
john.vellek

Hi @john.p.addy,

I ma checking back with you to see if you have made any progress on this issue or if you need any additional support in updating the work process. I am happy to continue working on this with you.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 19
john.p.addy

@john.vellek

Good morning,  Right now I'm thinking everything is going good.  I go into the office tomorrow and will talk to my boss about changing away from the metafile.  I will keep you posted

Thank you,
John Addy
Department of Defense
Message 18 of 19
john.p.addy

I'm also seeing in another thread where it could be my video card. 

Does anyone know how to tell if that is so?

Thank you,
John Addy
Department of Defense
Message 19 of 19
john.vellek

HI @john.p.addy,

Please zoom in close to the geometry. Does it look correct on the screen? Use the Windows snipping tool to capture a window of what you are seeing on your screen and share it so I can understand what it looks like on your side.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report