Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting ACAD dwg versions too many times

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CadManGarrett
458 Views, 4 Replies

Converting ACAD dwg versions too many times

I have a situation where I have ACAD 2018 users and ACAD 2013 users. I am worried that converting the file too many times might corrupt the file.  I was wondering if there is a limit of times or known issues of converting the file version hundreds of times.  What have people seen?

I seem to recall in much older versions of ACAD this was a issue (after like 200+ conversions).  

Just wondering if this is a issue at all in the new versions.

When to go from ACAD 2018 to back save it to ACAD 2013 (with using EXPORTTOAUTOCAD\AECTOACAD), then open the file in 2018 again (which versions it back up again) and save it back again...Rinse and repeat.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
imadHabash
in reply to: CadManGarrett

Hi,

as i understand .... i suggest by OPTIONS dialog command from your AutoCAD 2018 change your File Save .

Options >> Open and Save tab >> File save ( AutoCAD 2013 Drawing ) . Now in every save you can work and open files in both versions without converting procedures . 

Regards,

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
RobDraw
in reply to: imadHabash

@imadHabash wrote:

Hi,

as i understand .... i suggest by OPTIONS dialog command from your AutoCAD 2018 change your File Save .

Options >> Open and Save tab >> File save ( AutoCAD 2013 Drawing ) . Now in every save you can work and open files in both versions without converting procedures . 

Regards,

This is only true as long as newer features are not being used. Everyone working on a project should be on the same version. Not doing so can lead to issues such as, in this case, reaching that limit of the number of times a specific file can be converted although I've never heard of it before. I've never converted a file more than once, unless someone made a mistake and edited the file in the wrong version.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 5
CadManGarrett
in reply to: imadHabash

Well I would not recommend this process for this causes issues with v2018. For what I have been told that if you use this method then it will still leave the objects in the dwg and you will get a error on open with 2103.  Rather you should be using the command of EXPORTTOAUTOCAD\AECTOACAD instead.

My question is more related to not how to convert, but rather is there a possible issue with the amount of times that you convert backwards and forwards again.

Anybody have some experience with this?

Message 5 of 5
RobDraw
in reply to: CadManGarrett

You're asking about a workflow that is not recommended. Why would you want to continue to work in a way you to think will cause problems? Personally, I would do whatever is necessary to avoid having to convert the same files repetitively.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report