convert dwg to shp

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
33113 Views, 5 Replies

convert dwg to shp

Hi There..

im sorry if my questions have been asked so many times since i couldnt find the solution..

so here the problem

i want to import dwg to arcgis but when i tried to import it the dwg doesnt have anything in arcgis ( i check table properties and it just blank) so i decide to convert it first to shp then import..

i was googling and this link come first (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-map-3d/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/EN...). i dont know it is different autocad or not but i couldnt find command "-mapexport" in my autocad

i am using autocad 2018 version.. 

could someone help how to convert it??

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ChicagoLooper
in reply to: Anonymous

If you a re using vanilla AutoCAD you cannot export to shapefile. From vanilla AutoCAD, perform a SAVE AS and use a dxf extension. ArcGIS can read dxf files.

( For shapefiles to be created, you must use either Map 3D or Civil 3D.)

Chicagolooper
Message 3 of 6
S.Faris

Try this Webservice : DWG to SHP

SALMANUL FARIS

Message 4 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> import dwg to arcgis

A DWG does not have enough information for GIS, e.g. the geographic coordinate system is missed and needs to be reassigned while importing in GIS. Also the coordinates you used in your drawing need to be according to this coordinate system (in most cases, if you draw something at 0,0 then it's out of any geographic range)

>> i dont know it is different autocad

"AutoCAD" and "AutoCAD Map 3D" are different products. Map3D (as well as Civil3D) has GIS-functions included, so also the command _MAPEXPORT.

>> could someone help how to convert it??

If you have the subscription with AutoCAD Toolsets then download and install AutoCAD Map 3D.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Hi all..

Thanks for the answers. 

The issues have been solved..

I just need to save the dwg to the older than 2013 version due to arcgis 10.2 doesnt support newer than 2013 version..

Thanks for your time to answering my question

Message 6 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I just need to save the dwg to the older than 2013 version

>> due to arcgis 10.2 doesnt support newer than 2013 version..

Well, I'm quite sure you have gotten a message in ArcGIS that the dwg (newer release) is not readable, I can't believe that you loaded it without any message and just see no content!

But at least good to know it is solved.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report