Did you mean: 

Changes to Distance Measurement Tool: No longer performing as desired in 2016

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2508 Views, 7 Replies

Changes to Distance Measurement Tool: No longer performing as desired in 2016

I recently upgraded to AutoCAD 2016 and the distance measurement tool now seems to be operating differently.

Long story short it annoys me and I would like to see if it's behaviour can be reverted.

Issues:

1. Clicking distancce measurement tool and measuring a line no longer automatically displays a result based on the type of tool selected using the icon, but instead prompts you to ask if you want to measure a distance, area, volume etc. If i had wanted to measure an area, i would have selected the area tool and wouldn't have just measured two points. 
  2. When the tool finally does display a result, it only displays Delta X, Delta Y and Delta Z; but does not display an overall "as-the-crow-flies"  displacement between the two points. It used to do this in a separate line above Deltas X, Y and Z.

Many thanks.

MID

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sthompson1021
in reply to: Anonymous

You have to have your command line adjusted to show at least two rows of text and then you will see it.

Message 3 of 8
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently upgraded to AutoCAD 2016 and the distance measurement tool now seems to be operating differently.

1. Clicking distancce measurement tool and measuring a line no longer automatically displays a result based on the type of tool selected using the icon, but instead prompts you to ask if you want to measure a distance, area, volume etc. If i had wanted to measure an area, i would have selected the area tool and wouldn't have just measured two points. ....

On that issue:

What you get from the icon in the Ribbon is the MEASUREGEOM command, a catch-all grab bag full of options.  If you use the original DIST command [which is still around] instead, it will be just as you remember it.  You can use the default DI alias, or make yourself a different alias or a menu item somewhere to call for it.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 8
GrantsPirate

The command being called is the MEASUREGEOM command rather than the DIST command you are used to.  You can change things back to use DIST or change the tool to start MEASUREGEOM and automatically select distance as the option under that command.

If you look in the Ribbon, Home, Utilities you will see that this is already done for you.  You can use that instead or see how it is done there and repeat other places, or just change that to DIST.

You could also use acad.pgp and have DI call Distance command, etc.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 5 of 8
BobDurrant
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Hey Everyone,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but in the past, I would use either "measuregeom" or "Dist", click on a point, then hover over a second point and the distance would showup next to my crosshairs.  I was able to measure multiple points but now I have to fully click on the second point and read the Distance in the Command Line.  I'm not sure what changed!  Has this changed for you?

Also, if you only have 2 lines of your command line open (which I do), then you won't see the actual Distance of an angled measurement.  You need 3 lines open to see the Distance.  Screen space is valuable!!

Thanks!

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: BobDurrant

@BobDurrant wrote:

... in the past, I would use either "measuregeom" or "Dist", click on a point, then hover over a second point and the distance would showup next to my crosshairs.  I was able to measure multiple points but now I have to fully click on the second point and read the Distance in the Command Line.  I'm not sure what changed!  ....

I suspect your DYNMODE System Variable setting has been changed.  Read about it in Help to choose your preferred setting.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 8
BobDurrant
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Hey Kent!

You are exactly correct....thank you!  After hours of searching last night, I found out that I could turn on/off dynamic mode by clicking on the "Customization" button in the lower right corner.  That puts a toggle in the tool bar.  Even after 20 years, I am still learning!

Thanks again Kent,

Bob

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Many thanks Kent!
I googled up this issue and your tip solved it instanta!
I once encountered same couple of years back and lazily (tediously) reinstalled. By the way it's Acad 2013 in both scenarios.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report