5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kerimtaspinar
2640 Views, 5 Replies

Chamfer Command

When i make chamfer, AutoCAD say ''select first line or''
Why firstly i can't write numeric data.

@kerimtaspinar, john.vellek has edited your subject line for clarity:Chamber Command

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: kerimtaspinar

This is not "AutoCAD" ideas forum, it's for a web app http://www.autocad360.com

Chamber? Do you mean Chamfer, or something else? What does CHAMBER command do exactly?

Message 3 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @kerimtaspinar,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

I believe you are referring to the Chamfer command. This command is used to create a bevel or chamfer the edges of two 2D objects or the adjacent faces of a 3D solid.

When you start the command either by selecting the chamfer icon from the Modify tab  or by typing Chamfer at the command line, you are prompted to select a line. However, if you please note, at the command line there are other options that you can select as well such as Distance and Angle.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 6
Kent1Cooper

@kerimtaspinar wrote:

When i make chamber, AutoCAD say ''select first line or''
Why firstly i can't write numeric data.....

The reason is that once you have set Chamfer distances, you may very likely want to Chamfer more things using the same distances.  You can just start picking things in that case, without having to supply the distances again [or accept the defaults] before picking things.  Only if you want to change the distance settings do you need to enter anything about them, so that is an option [among the others @john.vellek already mentioned], and not the initial prompt.

It's the same with the Fillet command.  Mostly I use that with a Fillet radius of 0 to make sharp corners [and you can do that with Chamfer, too].  I wouldn't want to have to enter or accept a radius value before I could pick the things I want to Fillet, every time I use the command.  I almost always want the current radius setting [usually 0], and I can just call up the command and pick things immediately.  Only if I want a different radius do I need to give it any input, so that is an option.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 6
ВeekeeCZ
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

@Kent1Cooper wrote:

It's the same with the Fillet command.  Mostly I use that with a Fillet radius of 0 to make sharp corners [and you can do that with Chamfer, too].  I wouldn't want to have to enter or accept a radius value before I could pick the things I want to Fillet, every time I use the command.  I almost always want the current radius setting [usually 0], and I can just call up the command and pick things immediately.  Only if I want a different radius do I need to give it any input, so that is an option.

This is why I do understand why a default settings will never fit to all users. Kent's workflow is 100 % different than mine. I do use this for sharping corners a lot. But I NEVER set R=0, hate that. Always holding SHIFT key. Also I have my own command "R" which goes directly for Radius setting....  is exacly what the OP is asking.

@kerimtaspinar Learn how to adjust commands according to your specific needs. You can have macro or lisp. Here is Example of my R command.

(defun C:R nil (command "_.fillet" "_r" pause "_.fillet") (princ))
Message 6 of 6
john.vellek

Hi @kerimtaspinar,

I am checking back to see if my post or others helped you with your problem.
Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts fully solved your issue or answered your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report