cant move / copy to any typed in origin

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1289 Views, 6 Replies

cant move / copy to any typed in origin

This should be an easy one.
When I try to move / copy etc. I pick my objects and pick the first point of displacement. When I type in the second point of displacement.... say.. 0,0,0 a little red lock symbol (icon) appears in the x y boxes and nothing moves.

I can get around this by moving the ucs to wherever I want but it used to work.
Has this angered anyone else?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

When you move something and use 0,0,0, that is the base of where you selected your first move point. The next would be the distance you want to move it.

Message 3 of 7
pendean

Are you using the @ and # symbols to actively tell AutoCAD where you want the objects to go, or are you assuming AutoCAD is going to guess on your behalf whether you want relative or absolute locations?

Message 4 of 7
leothebuilder

No, The OP did say that first he selected the origin for displacement, then entered 0,0,0 for destination.

Message 5 of 7
Kent1Cooper

Does it work as expected if you either:

A]  Turn dynamic input off [F12 key]; or

B]  Type in the coordinates with a preceding # [e.g. #0,0,0] to use absolute coordinates rather than relative; or

C]  Pick in the command line below and type the coordinates in there, instead of at the tool-tip near the crosshairs?

Search for "absolute coordinates" in Help for several entries, and follow the related topics, to find the possibilities, and the System Variables involved.

What version are you using?  That could affect how it works -- in old-enough versions without dynamic input, the operation would be to absolute coordinates, without the # prefix, unless you called for relative with the @ prefix.  If you got used to doing it that way, and have recently upgraded, Help explains how it works now [by default -- you can have it work the old way by turning off dynamic input].

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 6 of 7
leothebuilder
in reply to: pendean

With move or copy you can just select a point of origin and then enter 0,0,0 without any @ or # for the destination.   Autocad does know where 0,0,0 is at all times.

Message 7 of 7
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: leothebuilder

@leothebuilder wrote:

.... you can just select a point of origin and then enter 0,0,0 without any @ or # for the destination.  ....

... but in newer versions with dynamic input, the result is affected by whether or not you have that turned on, and when you do, even by where  you type in the coordinates [tool tip vs. command line].

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report