Did you mean: 

Cannot snap to viewport

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
matthew
11430 Views, 30 Replies

Cannot snap to viewport

I cannot snap to a viewport in AutoCAD 2018, It snaps if i right click and specifically set where i want it to snap to. But it does not snap by its self, I can snap to other items in both paper space and model space its just the viewports. 

any ideas? 

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: matthew

Hi,

>> I cannot snap to a viewport in AutoCAD 2018

Can you please describe all steps you do?

If I create a viewport, then (in paperspace) I start command _LINE (having object snap _END active) I can snap to every of the 3 corners of the viewport.

(I have "AutoCAD 2018.1 Update" installed)

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 31
matthew
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

It worked before but something has changed. I can only click on the center of the viewport. This is on all viewports created by me and by others. It must be some system variable but im not sure what it is. 

Like i say if you right click you can click endpoint, midpoints or anything and it works but just doesn't do it automatically like it does with normal lines, polylines etc. 

Message 4 of 31
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

sorry, it's again not clear what you mean/you try to do exactly.

My understanding if "snap to viewport" (from your title) is that you can't draw a line to an endpoint of the corner or perpendicular to an edge of the viewport.

For me that is working well.

When I select a viewport from an old drawing or a viewport that is created using command -VPORTS I also get the grip points of that vport corners.

And yes, AutoCAD 2018 update 1 has an improvement for viewports created based on views (command _MVIEW), but also these viewports have grips on the corners as well as can be used with object snap end, int, per, ...

Can you please show/record your situation using Autodesk screencast (>>>click<<<), just to show us what you are exactly doing...

Also try that with a new drawing, just to make sure it's not specific to just one file.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 5 of 31
john.vellek

Hi @matthew,

This is a known issue. In your OSNAP settings, turn off the Geometric Center snap. That should return normal functionality to your OSNAP I believe.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 31

Hi @john.vellek

>> This is a known issue. In your OSNAP settings, turn off the Geometric Center snap

Thx for info, didn't know that.

Is that new with 2018.1 or did that already exist in 2018 without SP/Update?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 7 of 31

Hi @Alfred.NESWADBA,

I believe that we just caught this issue late last week so I believe it is in all 2018 versions.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 8 of 31
matthew
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks, That does the trick, Do you think this will get fixed in a future update? be nice to have that snap available but also be able to move viewports. I use that sometimes to move form the center of a square. 

Message 9 of 31
john.vellek

Hi @matthew,

I can't say one way or another as I am not on the development team but I know they are aware of the issue and my gut (not an official Autodesk message) tells me that they will try to get it remedied.

John Vellek

Message 10 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

I have the same problem with latest 2018. I use both, snap to center AND snap to viewport corners, so I would think they need to fix this, otherwise snap to center as a pretty new feature will be rendered non existing for people that turn it off.

Hopefully we'll see a fix to this soon.

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous

Anyone can snap to a view line inside model space, or through paper space.The question is how do you snap the model space to fit the view, exactly the same, every single time, so one doesn't end up with different size drawings, in a drawing set. 

Snapping to the viewport would make a title block show up the same size, every time a layout drawing is processed, for a multiple page layout.  So the user selects 'Zoom', with the viewport (UNLOCKED).  Exactly how do you size a drawing extents, to the  viewport size, when you have multiple drawings in the model space, with multiple title blocks?

Message 12 of 31
maratovich
in reply to: Anonymous

karensvalentine

You need to use batch printing from the model.
Or automatically create a viewport from the model.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Software development
Automatic creation layouts and viewport. Batch printing drawings from model.
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 13 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: maratovich

I use publish, to make PDF files. 

These are not individual .dwg files, these are SHEETs in a single dwg.   

Each sheet is made up of  a sketch, which is encompassed by a title block. 

The title block is NOT in paper space, but replicated 10 times, for example for 10 pages, for 10 different sketches. 

I open a viewport.  I want to zoom in around one of the 10 title blocks, at the same endpoints exactly, and I get no grips to control location of the endpoints of the title block.  

This isn't a single drawing in model space, it's multiple drawings.

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous

I don't have screencast.  I have a sample drawing to make the point clear.

Message 15 of 31
maratovich

You will be surprised, but 50% of users do the same as you do.
Many title blocks in one model, this is normal. You do not need to render viewports.
Although, according to the developers this is not correct, but it is convenient for the user.
The usual AutoCAD does not do this.
An additional program for batch printing from the model will help.
Create a new topic to avoid clogging this one, it will be more convenient.
Attach an example of your file with the title blocks.

Software development
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 16 of 31

Hi,

>> You will be surprised, but 50% of users do the same as you do

Sorry no, having multiple title blocks in modelspace is a very unusual situation and at least not how you can get the best out of AutoCAD's plot functionality.

This was done when AutoCAD did not know layouts (decades ago).

People using that technique today either have not learned to work with layouts or are bound by applications that can't handle layout (both situations are not good at all).

@Anonymous

Create layouts for each titleblock, create a viewport in each layout, within the viewport zoom to the titleblock, run command _CHSPACE with the titleblock to have it in the layout/paperspace.

After you have done that for every titleblock you are able to use command _PUBLISH or to use the sheet set functionality to get things done you never could do previously.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Message 17 of 31

I already wrote:
Although, according to the developers, this is not correct, but it is convenient for the user.
I just reflect the opinion of ordinary users.

The question is completely different, he wants to do it automatically.

Software development
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 18 of 31
Anonymous

Uhm, this is a whole company that does this as a method.  Personally I have learned to overcome this adversity, but all things being equal, it would be nice to be able to zoom and snap to the title block.   I found that zooming to an object, in this case the title block, works fine, regardless of how many title blocks are in a single model space.

I was just wondering about the zoom in viewport with snap.

Regards,

Karen

Message 19 of 31
maratovich

Attach a sample file

Software development
www.kdmsoft.net
Message 20 of 31
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I was just wondering about the zoom in viewport with snap.

You can use the zoom to object in the same way in the viewport as you do it in the modelspace.

I'm just unsure what you mean by "zoom in viewport with snap". Using ZOOM - Window let's you use object snaps, what exactly are you missing?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report