Did you mean: 

Cannot Select Objects for MKLTYPE or MKSHAPE

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ashley.everton
2379 Views, 6 Replies

Cannot Select Objects for MKLTYPE or MKSHAPE

I would like to make a new line-type as per the attachment.

I do not want gaps in the continuous line, therefore the method of adding this in the acad file as  -X- is not appropriate. 

I have tried using the MKLTYPE tool to create the new linetype. However, the 'select objects' step that comes after defining the line length (first point, second point) will not allow me to select the following,

- Lines

- Text

- Polylines

- Groups

- Blocks

I would list shapes in there, but MKSHAPE is having the same problem! MKSHAPE will also not let me select polylines.

All layers are thawed, and unlocked. I am not working on the 0 or defpoints layer.

Is there a step that I am missing?

I am using AutoCAD 2018, on a Windows 10 Business OS.

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

First you have to draw the "X" (two crossing lines) and create a symbol (you can use the "mkshape" tool).

Then load this symbol ("load" command) and insert it in your drawing ("shape" command).

Now start the "mkltype" tool and select the inserted symbol.

If my reply solves your problem, click the "accept as solution" button. This can help others find solutions faster

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Additional >>here<< a video how to do it.

Of course you should use suitable dimensions ...

The new created .lin and .shx file should be stored anywhere in your support path

HTH

If my reply solves your problem, click the "accept as solution" button. This can help others find solutions faster

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the assistance Jürgen.

However the MKSHAPE tool is also not functioning correctly.

I have attached a cropped screengrab showing the object I would like to add to MKLTYPE, via MKSHAPE.

In that session I,

-Exploded the block (producing 2 crossing lines)

-Ran MKSHAPE

- attempted to select lines by direct selection, lines were not detected.

- attempted to select lines in the object select stage using the lasso, which as shown, did not register the lines as objects.

I have now attempted to use the MKSHAPE tool in a brand new drawing, and it functioned correctly.

This issue seems to be specific to 1 file (well, file set), not the program itself. I presume that MKLTYPE tool will also work in a new drawing.

Is there an drawing option that could have disabled or interfere with the MKSHAPE and MKLTYPE tools?

Message 5 of 7

@ashley.everton wrote:

This issue seems to be specific to 1 file (well, file set),

Then let us see (one this file(s) ...

Are you sure the selected objects are lines? (I don't know what you explode before mkshape).

If we can't find what causes the problem in this file, create the shape and the linetype in another file and load both in the "problem" file. doe this w

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

@ashley.everton wrote:

This issue seems to be specific to 1 file (well, file set),

(the post above was cropped. Here a new try):

Then let us see (one of) this file(s) ...

Are you sure the selected objects are lines? (I don't know what you exploded before mkshape).

If we can't find what causes the problem in this file, create the shape and the linetype in another file and load both in the "problem" file. Does this work?

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 7 of 7

@j.palmeL29YX wrote:

create the shape and the linetype in another file and load both in the "problem" file. Does this work?

This has worked. It is a work around, but I would still like to discover the cause of the issue to improve my own knowledge of AutoCAD's inner workings.

@j.palmeL29YX wrote:

Are you sure the selected objects are lines? (I don't know what you exploded before mkshape).

I am sure they are lines.

I would like to attach the file, but I am concerned about inadvertently sharing client data. 

I have saved a copy with all Linework and blocks removed. I have then run PURGE to remove any other data.

The problem still persists.

Is there any other functions that can be run to ensure that the file is clean of client data before posting?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report