Did you mean: 

Can't close block editor

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
Anonymous
68415 Views, 38 Replies

Can't close block editor

AutoCAD 2010. I was editing a block in the block edit screen and it wouldnt save the block. My screen froze and I had to reboot the computer. Now when I open the drawing it is still in the block edit screen and I cant get out of it. Help!!!!!!!!!!

38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39
dmfrazier
in reply to: Anonymous

Try BCLOSE.Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: dmfrazier

When I open the drawing it looks like it is in the block editor mode because the only thing on the screen is the titleblock which I was editing at the start of this debacle. It does not appear to be a block anymore because I can edit it, which I should only be able to do in the block edit screen. When I tried BCLOSE, it says BCLOSE only available in block edit mode
Message 4 of 39
dmfrazier

Perhaps you were using REFEDIT, in which case REFCLOSE should get you out.

(It surprises me that a "crash" could leave REFEDIT "running".  If that doesn't work, I don't know what's going on.)

Message 5 of 39
Anonymous

It was definitely block editor. I tried refclose just for the heck of it and nothing. When I scroll over my paperspace tabs it shows a preview of the drawings. But when I pick one of the tabs nothing shows up in my veiwports. But the titleblock does show up in paperspace as a block (which is the block that I was editing when this occurred). I tried my backup file and it is the same as the dwg.

Message 6 of 39
dmfrazier

Do you know exactly what you were doing to the block when you were in block editor and AutoCAD "froze"?

Message 7 of 39
Anonymous

I was editing text when it froze.
Message 8 of 39
dmfrazier

Is the block definition still in the DWG?

Is the "block" you were editing an XRef?

Perhaps a system variable got left in an "unusual" state (?) when AutoCAD "froze".  With the problem DWG open, check the value of the following variables:

BLOCKEDITLOCK (should be zero)

BLOCKEDITOR (should be zero, read only)

BLOCKTESTWINDOW (should be zero, read only)

(Grabbing at straws here.)

Message 9 of 39
doni49

did you try AUDIT?  This may or may not fix it but it's worth a try.

Another possibility is to open a blank drawing INSERT your "damaged" file then explode the inserted block.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 10 of 39
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

Thanks, I tried both of those also. Nothing on the audit and the only thing that shows up is the titleblock that I was initially editing during the debacle. All of the layers show up just not any of the dwg.

Message 11 of 39
dmfrazier

Check your layer settings.  Anything unusual there?

Message 12 of 39
doni49

Type in MODEL. 

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 13 of 39
doni49

Can you post your dwg file?  What version is it in?

Don Ireland

Message 14 of 39
Anonymous

2010. I'll try and post it

Message 15 of 39
doni49

What is SUPPOSED to be in this file?  All I'm seeing is a title block and border too.  I'm on 2012 here.

Don Ireland

Message 16 of 39
dmfrazier

It's as if everything in model space was replaced by the objects in the block definition you were editing at the time.

I notice your title block is named A$C01463276.  Is that normal?

Do you use Autosave?

Message 17 of 39
doni49

Since you said this all started with acad crashing, the original file MIGHT be available in the drawing recovery mananger.   Type in DRAWINGRECOVERY. 

Don Ireland

Message 18 of 39
Anonymous

I double clicked the titleblock that is in paperspace, to get to the BLOCKEDIT screen, during that edit is when it crashed. I did save the drawing when i rebooted while in the BLOCKEDIT screen. When I rebooted and opened the drawing that is all there was. Was the titleblock in model space just and the one in paperspae

Message 19 of 39
Anonymous

tried that too

Message 20 of 39
Anonymous

I do use Autosave and yes,  that name is normal for that titleblock

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report