Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Linear Footage

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
14624 Views, 13 Replies

Calculating Linear Footage

Hi, 

I was looking through the forums about this but I couldn't find a real answer.

I work with countertops and we use CAD all day, but sometimes we need to calculate linear footage for edge work that we will be polishing. Is there anyway that AutoCAD can calculate Linear Footage, for us to know how much edging we area polishing. 

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

HI @Anonymous,

The answer for this question will likely depend on how you create your geometry.  For instance, if you place the front edge of your counter tops on a unique layer, you could certainly extract this linework with dataextraction to calculate the total length or it might be as simple as using qselect all the lines on the layer to get their length.

There are also many LISP routines that might help to capture this type of information.

Can you share a sample file so I can take a look?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

So attached is a file of pretty much what we deal with everyday. Some a little more complex. So everything that is in blue is a polished edge, so how do I measure all that and calculate the Linear Footage. I'm just trying to make my job work a little faster then having to use a calculator for every job. I work on 20-30 jobs a day and its just very time consuming.

thanks

Message 4 of 14
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for the file.  I grabbed one utility (free) from the  Autodesk App Store called Total Length.  It works quite simply.

Capture.PNG

If you want to try a data extraction in AutoCAD you can end up with data similar to this:

Capture1.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 14
dlanorh

If you're not running an LT version of AutoCAD you could use the attached LISP. Displays the Total Linear Footage in an alert box having processed all Lines, LWPolylines, Arcs and Circles on layer "BLUE_EDGE_PROFILE".

I am not one of the robots you're looking for

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

so i downloaded that for autocad and it just adds everything for me and does not calculate Linear Footage. it adds the lines but does not divide by 12 to get my linear footage. and it gives me the total in FT and its not accurate

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: dlanorh

ok and what does that mean? I am still fairly new to AutoCAD .. so i dont know what you mean win this coding. and LISP 

thanks....

Message 8 of 14
beyoungjr

... and that's what happens when I walk away from this for an hour and come back to finish my response.  Great respoinses given;)

Hi,

In the countertest.dwg file I have uploaded you can select a line or arc and look at it's properties by right-clicking and choosing Properties.

I have the drawing units set to Architectural with precision of 1/8".

The top profile is individual lines and an arc.  You cannot get cumulative length of dissimilar objects (line, arcs).  You must select a line to see it's length and the arc to see it's length.

The bottom profile has two lines joined to an arc (a polyline).  You may select that polyline object and see it's total length in properties.

The distance shown in properties will depend upon your Units settings, Precision in particular.

If you have a drawing with profile objects to analyze you may consider using the Join command to make them a polyline for length analysis.  However, be aware that some engraver and waterjet software packages prefer plain linework in creating cut paths.  If you find that the creation of polylines compromises your use in other applications you may need to consider simple dimensioning to reveal the data you seek.

All this said, understand that there may be addons available in the Autodesk App store that might perform functions helpful to you task.

Hope this helps,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 9 of 14
dlanorh

@Anonymous wrote:

ok and what does that mean? I am still fairly new to AutoCAD .. so i dont know what you mean win this coding. and LISP 

thanks....

There are two versions of plain AutoCAD, the full version and the LT (light) version. Lisp is a programming language. Autolisp and Visual Lisp are two versions of this adapted for use with AutoCAD. You can run Autocad Lisp programs in the full version, but not in the LT version and only on the Windows OS.

If you have the full version you can download the lisp attached to my previous post, move it to your MyDocuments folder. Type "appload" (without the quotes) on the command line, When the popup appears navigate to the folder you stored the lisp in, select it and then press the load button followed by the close button. Typing "tlf" (without the quotes) on the command line should now start the lisp program. It will search the entire drawing and select all Lines, Polylines, Arcs and Circles on layer "BLUE_EDGE_PROFILE" and put them into a selection set. It will then loop through the selection set adding the line lengths, arc lengths and circumferences as required to produce an overall total linear length in feet and inches, which it then displays in a popup. Ensure that architectural units are set in the drawing.

I am not one of the robots you're looking for

Message 10 of 14
alex101000

Try these solution

--
Message 11 of 14
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

You are correct that it simply adds the lengths of the lines. If you prefer to calculate the length and then the depth of a counter top then you could use a true dimension (your "dimensions" are just lines and text).

I added a dimstyle to your file that shows the length in inches as well as foot-inches.  Once I applied real dimensions, I also created a table  with fields that link to each dimension.  If the dimensions change then the table will update as well as the SUM (total) value in the last row.

Capture.PNG

John Vellek

Message 12 of 14
HullDrafter

The easiest method we do to calculate very quickly is: Layiso the line that is your counter edge. Type TOT and select the lines that are your edge, and it should tell you how long that edge is. As we draw everything in feet and use decimal points to show inches (i.e. 0.5 equals 6") whatever our TOT is, that is the Linear feet.

I hope this helps.

HD

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP I APPRECIATE IT

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Is there a way I could add other properties to an object type such as color or width? For example, I would like to use the function to find the total length of all of the yellow 4" width lines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report