Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way of creating a 2D model from a 3D model.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
powerspinks
936 Views, 9 Replies

Best way of creating a 2D model from a 3D model.

Hi all,

I've looked at various ways of creating a 2D model from an existing 3D model. Here is what I've found:

FLATTEN - Works but its a bit clunky. For example the model has a bunch of 2D splines drawn in 3D space. Flatten squashes them to be rather crinkly rather than smooth. See example below (Spline flattened on left and original 3D version on the right).  Is there something I can do to solve this? Otherwise this method works quite well. 

FLATSHOT - Seems to only flatten Solids. Am I doing it wrong? Very little of the drawing is made of solids. SOLPROF seems to be the same. 

I also tried plotting to DXB then importing using DXBIN but the monochrome format is very limiting. Also I'd like to keep the drawing elements as their relevant types (splines, Plines etc...) rather than a load of Lines. Plus I had trouble exporting them at scale.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
tramber
in reply to: powerspinks

I got something for you :

take the objects and move them by this method.

Base point : 0,0,0

Ending point : 0,0,1e99

Press ENTER to send the command MOVE back in action.

Select P (as Previous) for the last objects being in the stratosphere (z= at least 1e99) and bring them back on earth with :

Base point : 0,0,1e99

Ending point : 0,0,0

Done it is correctly flatten. Works good on many objects and is an official method

I even put that in a button. (not LT)

^C^C(defun c:flatit()(setq sel(ssget))(command "_move" sel "" "0,0,0" "0,0,1e99" "_move" "_P" "" "0,0,0" "0,0,-1e99")(princ))(c:flatit)  

once used this button, you can send the FLATIT command in a drawing...

Edit :

Look here

Message 3 of 10
Valentin-WSP

@powerspinks ,

@powerspinks wrote:

Hi all,

I've looked at various ways of creating a 2D model from an existing 3D model. ...

Try using the VIEWBASE command - link below.

And if you want the geometry in 2D, look at what www.cadforum.cz  says:

How to Explode a ViewBase generated from a 3D model?

"The standard command EXPLODE does not work on the objects of the type "Drawing View". But you can export the whole layout to a separate DWG drawing file (with the command EXPORTLAYOUT). In this file, the individual views are now just plain block references (e.g. "CustomObjectsInViewport7_0") - these blocks can be exploded to simple entities like Line, Arc, etc. and you can edit this geometry. Of course it is no more associative (unlike the Drawing view) with the original 3D model."

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 4 of 10
powerspinks
in reply to: Valentin-WSP

Thanks. VIEWBASE is incredible. Whilst it gives me good 2D projections once I finish the command all it leaves are projections of the 3D solids. Not sure why that is.

For ref we're trying to make 2D models so we don't have to send the client our 3D models (2D will be sufficient for their needs and we don't want to give out our 3D models if possible).

Message 5 of 10
powerspinks
in reply to: tramber

Thanks. Unfortunately that LISP seems to scatter all of the elements of my drawing. 

Message 6 of 10
Valentin-WSP

@powerspinks ,

For 2D, just apply the second portion of my comment - regarding  EXPORTLAYOUT.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 7 of 10
tramber

You showed a spline...

this is why i sent you this solution.

Message 8 of 10
j.palmeL29YX

@powerspinks wrote:

FLATTEN - Works but its a bit clunky. ...  Is there something I can do to solve this? Otherwise this method works quite well. 

If you are asked  "Remove hidden Lines?" (while the flatten command), choose NO. This will improve the quality (the smoothness) of the resulting Polyline drastically. 

You have obviously a project which not only includes Surfaces, Solids, Meshes, 3DFaces and other geometry which define a volume or at least Faces,. Also splines (and perhaps other Wire geometry, we don't know your model) are included. Therefore the Flatten command seems for me the best choice to get the desired result. 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
powerspinks
in reply to: tramber

I did. Apologies I should've explained more clearly the drawing contains a range of elements.
Message 10 of 10
powerspinks
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Thanks. I think you're right. Its not ideal but it appears to be the best under the circumstances.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report